bull bred 7 month jersey heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

ljmc50

Reaction score
had the neighbor's bull get to our 7 month jersey heifer....what to do?

I had a Jersey calve at 12 months old one time. Had it fine. If had I known she was bred in time though, I would have luted her.

For the sake of the jersey heifer, lute her and don't let her carry a calf at this young age. I wait 30 days after an unplanned breeding because sometimes they don't take anyway. But, the reason to wait is that the system must "know it is pregnant" and then the Lute will cause the CL to "dissolve" and then the cycle will start again. If given too soon, a lute shot will sometimes not do the job. And I always give a 2nd lute shot 2 weeks after the first one.... as a backup. Once in awhile a lute shot will not work.
I have had jerseys calve very young, and do okay. But a 16 month old heifer, is like a 14 yr old human....she might be able to have it but is it really in her best interests? She will be more likely stunted, and if no problems having it, then might not breed back for a long while, because her body reserves are just too used up at that age. And you can run into problems with her having it. Had a neighbor with a 17 month old jersey heifer trying to calve. Angus bull..... but calf died, stuck partway out, hiplocked, and they had to cut it up to get it out and the heifer went down, and they had to shoot her 2 days later.... all because another neighbor said it wouldn't be a big deal. If you can get her in, give her a shot and for a few dollars, prevent a possible disaster down the road. And keep her away from the fence near the bull when she is bulling.

Latest posts