bull born with foot turned back

Help Support CattleToday:

bwalker

Reaction score
Calf born 2 weeks ago with both feet turned back one has straightened but the other is still the same . He can only stand for a short time. Losing weight and laying down most of the day .Mama is feeding him well. Should I splint this leg?

Another week or two, he will be running around the pasture without your help. I get a couple cases a year. As long as they get enough to eat they will be fine.

Thank you so much for the info. This is my Grandsons calf, he is new to this, is learning to farm and care for his cattle on utube and internet web sites. No one in our family have ever owned cattle . He has started out with 50 head. Have had 10 new calves born in the last 2 weeks.Pray for us that we don't kill all of them with our ignorance.

i never splint mine and they always straighten out in a week or less. the thing i worry about is the calf not keeping up with the herd. a calf like that would be easy pickings for a predator.

bwalker":kcox3nef said:
Thank you so much for the info. This is my Grandsons calf, he is new to this, is learning to farm and care for his cattle on utube and internet web sites. No one in our family have ever owned cattle . He has started out with 50 head. Have had 10 new calves born in the last 2 weeks.Pray for us that we don't kill all of them with our ignorance.

As everyone has said he will be ok just give him some time. I might add "No matter how hard you try you just can't kill'em all" :lol: Good luck.

Latest posts