Bull behavior

Help Support CattleToday:

Rod

Reaction score
My new brangus bull seems to be spending alot of time by himself. He went right to work checking the ladies out as soon as he unloaded, but now he keeps to himself alot. Seems more interested in eating than anything. I'm running him with 25 cows that calved in Feb. and March, so he should be entertained somewhat. He's 4 years old and I just found it odd the way he's acting because its so different from my other bulls. Any input would be appreciated.

Possibly several things: Bull may be hungrier than he is sexier. Cows may NOT be in heat...bull checked them out...decided they weren't ?? Bulls can detect heat better than people can. Bull possibly is still getting oriented, adjusted, and also cows may not be in heat. If he is virile, then it will happen. If he has extremely low libido then he may need to grow wheels. Give it a little more time.

My Angus bull turned five last month - over the years he spends a lot of time off to himself. I think he just gets tired of the nagging women and has to get away for awhile. I wouldn't worry a lot - mine still manages to produce very well - in fact I had another set of twins last week by him.

brangus generally aren't as known for this as brahmans, but it could still be the brahman influence coming out........many brahmans breed at night. you won't see any activity from many brahman bulls but somehow all the cows get bred.

txag":gsjsz32j said:
brangus generally aren't as known for this as brahmans, but it could still be the brahman influence coming out........many brahmans breed at night. you won't see any activity from many brahman bulls but somehow all the cows get bred.
:lol: :lol: :lol: just the truth, I have 62 Simmental heifers that were from 8-14 months old and were expose since last October to Payaso Royal a 3/4 Nelore-1/4 Simmental bull that I own. The rancher told me that the bull wasn't breeding the heifers so at mid-February we separate the bull from the heifers and after 50 days (last week) they were preg-check and surprise all the heifers over 14 months were pregnant.

Another experience with night working bulls we had was with our herd of Braunvieh, but don't know if it is common with this breed.

Brahmans just like any other kind of bull breeds when the cow is in heat. I have seen many mating by Brahman bulls.

One of our first bulls who was a pet and would let me ride him would bring the cows up to the fence to show off for us. Each bull is different.

txag":3hqankif said:

A. delaGarza":1xevt6ds said:
txag":1xevt6ds said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: just the truth, I have 62 Simmental heifers that were from 8-14 months old and were expose since last October to Payaso Royal a 3/4 Nelore-1/4 Simmental bull that I own. The rancher told me that the bull wasn't breeding the heifers so at mid-February we separate the bull from the heifers and after 50 days (last week) they were preg-check and surprise all the heifers over 14 months were pregnant.

Another experience with night working bulls we had was with our herd of Braunvieh, but don't know if it is common with this breed.

the bull after mid-February was sent to a semen center were they check if he didn't have a penis deviation and was semen re-check, everything went perfect, so under this circumstances and trying to make a profit it's beign serviced for semen.

cherokeeruby":3nc50tbe said:
Brahmans just like any other kind of bull breeds when the cow is in heat. I have seen many mating by Brahman bulls.

One of our first bulls who was a pet and would let me ride him would bring the cows up to the fence to show off for us. Each bull is different.

txag":3nc50tbe said:

i said many brahmans, not all. they're often called "shy breeders".

my braford bull doesn't like anyone to watch. i have had him 1 1/2 years and never saw him mount a cow. but i some nice calves out of him, i had to guess when the were going to calve. then i took him to my father-in-laws and he jumped out of the trailer and went over and bred one of his right in front of us. i have seen bulls stay alone until time to breed and then they get to business.

Ive got a brangus bull that would make a good thief. I've been having him for a couple of yrs and to this day i have not seen him breed a cow. I 've seen the courting but app. he does his work under the stars.

This is something I would have never considered, it appears to be a common thing that bulls breed at night, the equivalent of turning off the lights I suppoes.
Rod, wait for a while if you drop no calves maybe your bull is gay...

To not waste too much more time and to set your mind at ease, have them palpated. That will settle things pretty well one way or the other.
The neighbor turned a bull (Holstein) out with his heifers a couple of months ago. We have never seen any sign of breeding activity from him. I've witnessed heifers bulling with him with no recipracle from him. Last wekk he preg checked. All of the heifers are settled. Obviously a "moonlight Romeo".

dun

A. delaGarza":3bycul0x said:
txag":3bycul0x said:

The braunvieh cross bull we had was a night rider. I never once saw him breed a cow in the 4 years we owned him. My uncle rented one for a summer once and he did the same thing.

Latest posts