Bull Barn Choices

Help Support CattleToday:

FlyingLSimmentals

Reaction score
Thought I'd line up my small set of heifers and get AI since they're pretty much related to each bull I've got and I haven't sold them as an open yet. AI Tech likes Bull Barn so I'm been going through their pages online and crunching numbers and picking out bulls and pedigrees. Like to pick a 3/4 or a purebred. Seems they're priced higher than before to a degree. W/C Cash In is $40 there and $25 at Cattle Visions. Koch Big Timber is $30 there and $25 at Select Sires. They do have RFG/K-LER Elevation for $25 where Cattle Visions is $35. Anyway I thought I'd stay $30 or lower. About talked myself in going red this time though with Yukon he's $20. Looks like nice EPD's for the most part except his Doc at a -1.0 that I (just now have seen). Well now I'll keep thinking it over.

Yukon has a half brother Hooks Xpectation, much better doc epd. The Schmidt's (Hook's Herdsman) liked him for his females. I saw a couple and they looked nice.

They can get any of the Cattle Visions bulls too . If you`re getting something from ABS , Select Sires or Genex your local rep can deliver it and you save the $80-$90 shipping.

Shipping is the killer. Many years ago, to save money, I contacted some other breeders that I knew did AI on their farm. We pooled our order and shared shipping. Now, it is a benefit of being a NY Simmental Assn member. I am a dealer for ABS, Genex, Select Sires (Accelerated), and Cattle Visions. The only shipping costs is with CV, but everyone shares that expense. Generally costs about $0.15/unit. So, 10 units of semen will cost $1.50.
I only order once a year. Everyone brings their tank here & picks it up. Saves lots of $$$$. Anyone can order, just have to be a member for $25/yr. Have Angus and Clubby breeders as members to take advantage of savings.
You might check with other breeders in your area and see who they deal with. ABS & Genex will deliver to your farm, free.

FlyingLSimmentals":1z0tfi4b said:
Thought I'd line up my small set of heifers and get AI since they're pretty much related to each bull I've got and I haven't sold them as an open yet. AI Tech likes Bull Barn so I'm been going through their pages online and crunching numbers and picking out bulls and pedigrees. Like to pick a 3/4 or a purebred. Seems they're priced higher than before to a degree. W/C Cash In is $40 there and $25 at Cattle Visions. Koch Big Timber is $30 there and $25 at Select Sires. They do have RFG/K-LER Elevation for $25 where Cattle Visions is $35. Anyway I thought I'd stay $30 or lower. About talked myself in going red this time though with Yukon he's $20. Looks like nice EPD's for the most part except his Doc at a -1.0 that I (just now have seen). Well now I'll keep thinking it over.
I second the red! let us know on who you end up using.

Thanks for all the info everyone. AI Tech is gonna get it for me. Said he could get it through Bull Barn and recommended them. He's got some for me before from them and I don't remember being charged too much. He Figured he could get some from ABS, Select or Genex if I wanted a bull from them. He has his own Angus herd and AI's them. He had worked for accelerated genetics before not sure who he is with now. I'll update when I make a selection.

Looking at the young new 3/4 Uno Mas son SFI Reality E43C. Also talked to an ABS rep about After Shock. Narrowing it down but still have a few others I'm considering.

ABS rep said he'd charge $10 per head for the AI service, $11 or $12 to put in the cidr per hd. Then the semen prices. Roughly about $240 for the service for the 5 heifers. If I go with the ABS rep I'm considering CLRS After Shock, SS Goldmine, or the red CDI Perception. Got to get a quote from the other AI Tech. With him I'm considering SFI Reality, Hook's Red Zone, MG/GSC Authority, & KOCH Big Timber 685D.

Any thoughts on W/C Cash In 43B. He's probably my Bull Barn Choice now that he is $25 there. Maybe get some blaze faces back. Still got to get the quote from the other tech so I haven't ruled out the ABS Tech. Looking at the Dark Red Perception or the Power Stroke son Goldmine there. Planning on locking in on one of those 3 in the next few weeks if something or somebody don't change my mind.

Jeanne I kind of figured that. Thought that might be an easy way & cheaper way to go for them for their 1st ones and keep them Simmental. Probably the Power Stroke name that 's drawing my attention the most to him, our best Simmental Herd Bull was a Power Stroke son. Probably will go a different route, that was something like Plan C. I Think Cash In would really click with my heifers, I'm waiting on a quote from a tech there. Then that red bull (Perception) for some reason or the other intrigues me even though I haven't seen any calves and he isn't proven. Guess it's his out cross pedigree, his epd line, and I'm a sucker for red. Figure most these heifers would still have black calves from him.