Bull and some calves (pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

There is a 286 son that is running with my father in law and my cows this summer. I think that is one of the few yearlings I have seen that has not only maintained his flesh but substantially gained weight and condition (with as much labido as you can ask for) while running with cows. After seeing a group of 286 daughters we couldn't resist tapping into those genetics this past spring. I am soon leaving Colorado to move to Montana (somewhere in between those two big breeders of L1 cattle). Hopefully sometime I can take a few days and go look at your cattle.
P.S. Don't let anyone know about everything that 286M can do. It will just be our little secret. Unfortunately I think Hoffman spoiled that one by letting everyone know that the bull he owns a share of is out of the same cow as 286. I do know where you can see a dozen plus paternal half sibs to your bull and 286 grand-offspring in the spring of 2010. I should have a batch of 286 offspring out of a former Denver champion coming in 2010 in recip cows up North hopefully.
Good luck and great pictures.

barstarcattle":194fnrav said:
There is a 286 son that is running with my father in law and my cows this summer. I think that is one of the few yearlings I have seen that has not only maintained his flesh but substantially gained weight and condition (with as much labido as you can ask for) while running with cows. After seeing a group of 286 daughters we couldn't resist tapping into those genetics this past spring. I am soon leaving Colorado to move to Montana (somewhere in between those two big breeders of L1 cattle). Hopefully sometime I can take a few days and go look at your cattle.
P.S. Don't let anyone know about everything that 286M can do. It will just be our little secret. Unfortunately I think Hoffman spoiled that one by letting everyone know that the bull he owns a share of is out of the same cow as 286. I do know where you can see a dozen plus paternal half sibs to your bull and 286 grand-offspring in the spring of 2010. I should have a batch of 286 offspring out of a former Denver champion coming in 2010 in recip cows up North hopefully.
Good luck and great pictures.

I calved out eight 286 daughters this year and sure like them. I think 286 is one of the all time greats, he does a lot of good things for a herd. Sounds like you'll have a pretty exciting group of ET calves next year. Hope you can stop in for a visit sometime.

Here's one of my 286 daughters, she's two year old.
IMG_1794.jpg

I wouldn't mind having a few two year olds like her in my herd. Outstanding udder!

Ned, can you take a few pics of your bulls from behind, I'm curious to see their width.

KNERSIE":1s4t43oa said:
I wouldn't mind having a few two year olds like her in my herd. Outstanding udder!

Ned, can you take a few pics of your bulls from behind, I'm curious to see their width.

Here's one of my 286 son. I'll get some of the other bulls later, when it's not raining. :)

-2.jpg

Here's one of 6050 when he was a two year old.

CopyofIMG_0875.jpg

That picture was croped from this one of 2 two year olds fighting thru the fence.

IMG_0875.jpg

This is 471, he's a five year old bull.

IMG_1822.jpg

175, he's a eight year old bull.

IMG_1839.jpg

175 son

IMG_1821.jpg

IMG_1829.jpg

IMG_1834.jpg

Group of bull calves.

IMG_1838.jpg

Happy 4th of July.

IMG_1842.jpg

Very nice. I love the rearend of that 175 son.

Its interesting that as soon as you get the big outer thighs like the two year old on the right of the fence has you often have to sacrifice width over the rump?

Your L1s are a very good balance of maternal traits and beef, my main gripe of most L1s is that I feel they have pushed the maternal side to far and have neglected the finer points like breed character, etc.

What do you think of the Domino 3027 bull of ABS?

KNERSIE":2acyb8rq said:

I've never seen him or any of his offspring in person. He looks good in his picture, looks like he's got a lot of depth and good thickness to him. And the pictures of his calves look good. He has good numbers and data. I don't know much about the bottom of his pedigree.

KNERSIE":1wj1bzfm said:
Very nice. I love the rearend of that 175 son.

Its interesting that as soon as you get the big outer thighs like the two year old on the right of the fence has you often have to sacrifice width over the rump?

Your L1s are a very good balance of maternal traits and beef, my main gripe of most L1s is that I feel they have pushed the maternal side to far and have neglected the finer points like breed character, etc.

Would you explain more for me please?