bull adjoining pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

mountainranch

Reaction score
HI, i've got 8 angus cows and 1 bull. I have about 6 acres that is not being used at this time ,because i'm rebuilding part of the back fence.There is a good 5 strand barbed wire fence seperating this field from a neighbors field. The neighbor also has angus cows and a bull. I would like to start using this field ,but am concerned that my bull and the neighbors bull might want to challenge each other. Will the barbed wire fence be sufficient to keep these animals apart? THANKS

id be more concerned with your bull wanting to get with his cows than the two bulls fighting. it's more of a incentive for him to get scraped up. they will fight and plow up around that fence

mountainranch":325bcbd3 said:
HI, i've got 8 angus cows and 1 bull. I have about 6 acres that is not being used at this time ,because i'm rebuilding part of the back fence.There is a good 5 strand barbed wire fence seperating this field from a neighbors field. The neighbor also has angus cows and a bull. I would like to start using this field ,but am concerned that my bull and the neighbors bull might want to challenge each other. Will the barbed wire fence be sufficient to keep these animals apart? THANKS

No, but then again, a plank fence won't keep them apart if they want to fight either. Having said that, all of our pastures are 3-4 wire barbed wire fences and we put bulls with cows on either side of them. In our case, if they fight they fight. We end up fixing fences every year. That is our decision, and we usually don't have many problems, but our bulls are wintered together, so they already have the pecking order figured out. Usually we don't have many problems until the second cycle rolls around, and the bulls are less busy. We run them together after that. 2 reasons for that, less fence to fix, and if one of the bulls happened to not have done his job we don't end up with 30 dry cows.

Depending on the neighbour, and what he is like to deal with, you may consider keeping your cows out of that field when the bull is with them, or you could run a strand of electric along the fence as well. The electric may or may not work, depends on the bulls. But it is much more likely to stop them than a barbed wire.

Two bulls across any type of fence (except 6' pipe fence) is waiting for any kind of wreck to happen...use your imagination.

We have 3 LH herd sires. Each is in his own pasture. Pastures are separated by either a 14' alleyway or a vacant pasture.

they usually won't fight if they can't touch each other. I've never had trouble where there's a lane or no-mans land. If not I usually heat the top wire up and that puts an end to that.

mountainranch":3o73sdbb said:

If two bulls can touch noses and blow snot on each other they are going to fight.
Bulls fight, beller,dig holes, beller some more and fight.

Auburn_Ag":1r1bm8ot said:
Go to this website

http://www.redhillgeneralstore.com/A70139.htm

Get you a fence charge like this and one slick wire around your fence and you will be fine.
My brother has one of those 6 joule chargers. He was working on the water line a little to close to the fence one time. He said it felt like a grown man hit him in the arm as hard as he could with a glowing hot fire poker. :lol: :lol: :lol:

THANKS EVERYONE
I have a good charger hooked to my hi tensile fence. Guess i'll have to run a strand of electric near the barb wire.

good idea to put some electric to it... one fence (5 strand or not) is NOT going to keep the bulls out of each others pasture. Always gotta have either two fences between them or a good iron fence... or electric fence.

Tod Dague":2v0v65i1 said:
Auburn_Ag":2v0v65i1 said:
Go to this website

Get you a fence charge like this and one slick wire around your fence and you will be fine.
My brother has one of those 6 joule chargers. He was working on the water line a little to close to the fence one time. He said it felt like a grown man hit him in the arm as hard as he could with a glowing hot fire poker. :lol: :lol: :lol:

There was a guy doing some dozer work for me and instead of pulling the gap back and then going through the gate, he got the bright idea to just drop it and drive over it. He said he thought he was being attacked by a whole swarm of hornets when he ran over the wire.
:shock: :lol: :lol:

Remember hot is a two way street if your neighbors bull sticks his head through the fence and gets hit behind the ear he is coming through your fence. A cow will only back up if hit from the nose to the ear, anyplace behind the ear they are going foward.

We have never had a problem with bulls going through fences here to get to another pasture as long as the fence had juice. Last year I had a bull constantly getting out of the "back up" bull pasture and crossing a street and trying to get into with the cowherd. First time it happened I scratched my head and figured he was goosed through, second time I started looking for trouble... Found it finally, the wire from the charger to the grounding rod area had broken off at ground level so there was no real ground. Put a new one in and poof, 6000 volts again... When that sucker hits you.. I swear it feels like your heart stops and I end to feel it in my arms and chest for a while the two times I brushed up against a wire on accident... Worst is when something shorts and you get it on a gate for some reason... Yowza.

Auburn_Ag":2xmek9dg said:
Tod Dague":2xmek9dg said:
Auburn_Ag":2xmek9dg said:
Go to this website

There was a guy doing some dozer work for me and instead of pulling the gap back and then going through the gate, he got the bright idea to just drop it and drive over it. He said he thought he was being attacked by a whole swarm of hornets when he ran over the wire.
:shock: :lol: :lol:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :?: While he was on a steel tracked dozer? :?: :?:

mine never actually fought..but they dug the fence up so bad on both sides that eventually it sagged down it the middle cuz the poles fell over and i had to start agin 3 ft closer...got rid of that bull and got another an the problem solved...for now i guess

Caustic Burno":36bh4k4o said:
Remember hot is a two way street if your neighbors bull sticks his head through the fence and gets hit behind the ear he is coming through your fence. A cow will only back up if hit from the nose to the ear, anyplace behind the ear they are going foward.

Unless its a wagyu! :lol: Those crazy mongrols, you zap them on the butt and they come backwards, him them on the nose then they go forward!

IL Rancher":1p6ysyeb said:
We have never had a problem with bulls going through fences here to get to another pasture as long as the fence had juice. Last year I had a bull constantly getting out of the "back up" bull pasture and crossing a street and trying to get into with the cowherd. First time it happened I scratched my head and figured he was goosed through, second time I started looking for trouble... Found it finally, the wire from the charger to the grounding rod area had broken off at ground level so there was no real ground. Put a new one in and poof, 6000 volts again... When that sucker hits you.. I swear it feels like your heart stops and I end to feel it in my arms and chest for a while the two times I brushed up against a wire on accident... Worst is when something shorts and you get it on a gate for some reason... Yowza.

Best Hereford bull I ever owned would go out of his way to fight. My bull lot has four hot wires on the inside and two on the outside and it is hotter than the door handle in He!!, never slowed him down.
He went to hamburger heaven due to his ways there is not much that will hold a bull that wants out.

Latest posts