Bull # 2.....He's outta here! Looking for #3

Help Support CattleToday:

BARNSCOOP

Reaction score
Well, you have read my posts on my young bull failing his first BSE and a second ordered at 60 days. He failed the second with worse #'s. He will be hamburger within 6 months. The breeder offered to give my money back or exchange for a bull calf of my choice but I will make more money slaughtering him. So, Thursday I will be going to look at another Shorthorn bull. This one is a half brother to mine and will be two in August. He has been with 21 cows and bred successfully but if I like him phenotopicly and EPD wise we will have a BSE done be sure......I am behind badly for the year. Wish me luck!

Keep in mind that this bull has been with other cows. Personally I run a closed herd and would never bring in a bull that isn't a virgin. Can bring in diseases that would make a mess. Just something to think about.

novaman":6hu3d9oj said:
Keep in mind that this bull has been with other cows. Personally I run a closed herd and would never bring in a bull that isn't a virgin. Can bring in diseases that would make a mess. Just something to think about.

Virgin bull or not, every time you bring in a bull, you're opening up your herd. I keep my herd closed too, except when bringing in a new bull. At that time, I don't want a virgin. I want a bull that is proven. Let's me get a good luck at his offspring...

Novaman,
Your right it is scary. I rounded up all my cattle yesterday and revaccinated. I did my annual vaccinations in November and desided to redo the Triangle 9 Type II BVD and give injectable dewormer along with the inital vaccines to my calves . I plan to send him for a BSE first then vaccinate and deworm him before is gets in with the herd, if i purchase him. He has been raised at this farm and the gentleman is a responsible owner but you can never be to cautious.

Latest posts