Bulk Feeder

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Well something new for me, I just finished a new bunk self feeder. It will hold 3000 pounds of bulk feed, already had two people stop and want to know what I would charge to build one. Said I wasn't interested they are selling for 750 to 800 bucks, I ended up with 253.55 in it. Built it with a sliding roof to lower the lift distance on the super sacks.
I spent more in the third quarter this year at the feed store than I typically spend in a year.

CB -- Sounds like you're a pretty handy guy to have around! Have you ever taken one of those missle container-type bunks and added racks/feeder panels to the tops? I'm looking for a good plan for a hay feeder that starts with those 1/2 cylinder containers; mine are approx. 12 ft. long, and 30 inches or so wide, and they're pretty shallow. There's a 2-inch or so lip along the long top edges. :?:

Kathie in Thorp":2pukvenc said:
CB -- Sounds like you're a pretty handy guy to have around! Have you ever taken one of those missle container-type bunks and added racks/feeder panels to the tops? I'm looking for a good plan for a hay feeder that starts with those 1/2 cylinder containers; mine are approx. 12 ft. long, and 30 inches or so wide, and they're pretty shallow. There's a 2-inch or so lip along the long top edges. :?:

Look up Boogie's post on hay racks they are off my plan's.

Found it. Thx, CB!! BUT, we feed small bales 80-120 lbs. -- bust them up into big flakes, and throw them into the top of the feeder. We have one commercially mgf'd feeder that gives us an idea about what we'd like to accomplish with the missle containers (or whatever they were in their previous lives) -- the racks are bolted and pinned on to the base. Just have to figure out how to recreate in a fashion to make it "cow tough." Fortunately, we DO have a machinest/welder in the fam.

Here's a pic of some of mine built out of trampoline frames. I've built a bunch since CB put me on to this idea. That is cow panel tack welded into the bottom of the cradles. I flipped one over so that you could see the structure from a different angle. Gussets are what give them strength. They are light and easy to handle.

http://ranchers.net/photopost/showphoto ... puser/2144

I will try to get some it is nothing fancy an 8x4 feeder on skids. That is what confuse's me as to why people have ask if I would build one. It didn't take a day to build it, it spent longer setting in the shop me trying to figure out what kind of roof to put on.

bigbull338":whqbuk94 said:
CB what are you feeding in your feeder 2 salt an 1 meal mix.

14% protien pellets free choice have another one with 2-1-1 two parts corn 1 part cottonseed 1 part salt along with hay.
I normally don't have anything for them but grass until November when I start putting out hay. There is going to be no winter pasture no moisture to sustain the seed, if you plant it now it will germinate and die.
My Cows are on Welfare. If chances of putting winter pasture keep slipping away, I won't put up with much more or this before closing shop.

we are feeding 1 meal 2 salt along with 2 bales of hay a week right now.they get the meal 3 or times a week at 150lbs ea feeding.hoping to streach our hay into lasting 6 months.but im afraide this drought wont break before we run out.

Latest posts