Bulk feed bin spoilage

Help Support CattleToday:

Rgv3180

Reaction score
Anyone ever had problem with corn spoilage in 3 ton bulk bin in summer.
Put three ton of rolled/cracked corn in there in mid June. By august when we're getting through it realized inside had about 2-3 inches of totally cooked corn stuck to sides. All black and gooey.
Not sure if the corn was delivered at to high of moisture content or the metal bin with sun cooked it.
It was even on side where it's almost all shade next to barn.

I'm going to hitch along for the ride on the comments. I installed an 18 tin bin to store shelled corn. I'm a little worried it'll spoil.

I had a similar problem for the first time this year also. I had my local corn supplier deliver cracked corn in March. they filled a 3 ton bulk bin and then filled up 3 barge box wagons. the corn in the bin seemed to keep OK (when weather was cool) but after I filled the bin back up from one of the wagons in May, it started to heat and cake up. Ended up scraping what I could from the sides and then pressure washed the inside to remove wet moldy corn still stuck to the sides. Called my supplier to see if they delivered wet corn but they were not very helpful answering questions. the corn left in the wagons seem OK in the middle but even the corn against the sides of the wooden barge boxes is moldy and sticks to the side when I unload. I think they saved a few dollars on drying wet corn last fall.

Bulk bins warm up in the sun/day time. Then they draw moisture when it cools off.
Most of us run our grain bin fans in Dec/Jan and freeze the dry corn that is stored. The corn will still be cold in the summer just because of shear volume.
A 3 ton bulk bin doesn't take long to warm up. In the summer you need to use the cracked corn fairly quickly.

The old timey wood granary bins were better for storage. Inside and shaded and somewhat open.

There is some data out there on corn storage time as a function of time and temp and moisture level.

We have a lot of problems when there is liquid molasses in the starter mix, so we MT upright bins in the spring and restart in the fall.

My green painted metal bin sweat more than my current white plastic bin. They get pretty dang hot, inside. The white plastic will only get less than an inch of spoilage, only in the cone. The more powder the more is absorbed.

I have a 3 ton bin that I store ground ear corn in. I ground 3 tons around the first of June and it's fine. I have another 4 or 5 ton bin that has had DDGS in it since March and it's still good as well.

mine got condensation inside is all I could figure out..big temp sings here in fl...citrus pellets don't do it but corn got moldy in 3 weeks it was garbage...

Latest posts