Building up my Longhorn herd

Help Support CattleToday:

auctionboy":10ikgj75 said:
That is exactly what he is doing! It must be a good idea because the people you know are doing it also. Why are the people you know doing it? To produce feeders? I don't see why this guy cant produce these cross bred commercial cattle when you just said there are people looking for them.

If you have a pasture full of cows that are 1/2 LH and 1/2 beef breed, put them with a really good long eared beef bull and you get a 3/4 beef offspring nursing a good momma that can thrive naturally in this hot environment and lose darn few calves.

In order to get a 1/2 LH, you have to start with a full. Driving through Neri last night I saw pastures full of them.

I don't own any LH influenced cattle and never have in the past. Hence, I am not one of those LH people you originally referred to. What I do understand is what cattle do in this Texas climate. You have to have something with ear or else LH to make enough nickels to float. It is inherently obvious that folks north of here absolutely have never seen short eared cattle panting worse than dogs in pure misery on consecutive 100 degrees days. They hang out in water holes or in the shade while others are foraging. Then there is the parasite resistent factor too. We have serious fly and other problems here.

backhoeboogie":1qy3brf1 said:
auctionboy":1qy3brf1 said:
That is exactly what he is doing! It must be a good idea because the people you know are doing it also. Why are the people you know doing it? To produce feeders? I don't see why this guy cant produce these cross bred commercial cattle when you just said there are people looking for them.

If you have a pasture full of cows that are 1/2 LH and 1/2 beef breed, put them with a really good long eared beef bull and you get a 3/4 beef offspring nursing a good momma that can thrive naturally in this hot environment and lose darn few calves.

In order to get a 1/2 LH, you have to start with a full. Driving through Neri last night I saw pastures full of them.

I don't own any LH influenced cattle and never have in the past. Hence, I am not one of those LH people you originally referred to. What I do understand is what cattle do in this Texas climate. You have to have something with ear or else LH to make enough nickels to float. It is inherently obvious that folks north of here absolutely have never seen short eared cattle panting worse than dogs in pure misery on consecutive 100 degrees days. They hang out in water holes or in the shade while others are foraging.
Why are you telling me? I didn't start this post. I don't have any questions.
You do not have to start with a full blood LH to get 1/2 Lh just breed two 1/2LH together.

auctionboy":2rluaqo8 said:
Why are you telling me? I didn't start this post. I don't have any questions.
You do not have to start with a full blood LH to get 1/2 Lh just breed two 1/2LH together.

Sorry. Just thought I was answering your questions. If you truly didn't want to know, don't know why you ask.

Crossing a 1/2 LH and another 1/2 LH will not give you a hybrid F-1 and it will not be as efficient.

Latest posts