Building trailers

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Does anyone in here build trailers? Utility trailers ? flat bed trailers?
I am going to start build trailers and its pretty straight forward but I plan on stick welding the trailers instead of mig which will take a good while but feel its better. I am going to start with a 5x12. I just got the metal up together and a 4x4 trailer with 3500 lb axle to use as a nurse tank for fence line sprayers.

Farm Fence Solutions":2k3hpg1n said:
I've built some boat trailers. Just curious, why ARC over MIG?

I am pretty proficient with Mig as I been doing that a very long time and Arc with recent certifications I want to keep doing it as much as possible. It may be weird but now I also like Arc better than Mig now.

Ive built a few. Built a 16 foot flatbed as my senior FFA project. I prefer arc as well. 95 percent of my welding is done in the field. So arc is what I'm comfortable with.

But nowadays
Thing is buy the time I buy axles, tires,wheels, hitches , lights, wiring and jacks. Then go jump through the hoops to register a shop built trailer. I might as well buy one. And that's the case even using steel outta my scrap pile.

callmefence":14wxwxsm said:
Ive built a few. Built a 16 foot flatbed as my senior FFA project. I prefer arc as well. 95 percent of my welding is done in the field. So arc is what I'm comfortable with.

But nowadays
Thing is buy the time I buy axles, tires,wheels, hitches , lights, wiring and jacks. Then go jump through the hoops to register a shop built trailer. I might as well buy one. And that's the case even using steel outta my scrap pile.

You are right about the costs to build them but the registering part wouldn't be me I would have them only for farm usage which here doesn't require any registration. I got the steel I need to build a 5x10 utility trailer and have 300 tied up in the metals and figure 30 for lights and wiring already have 50lbs of 7018 the hitch was 30 axle 150 2 tires 200 50 in boards but a new one off the lot will run you 1200-1500 here The other steel I have was all around the farm and or bought cheap from the scrap yard my time will be a donation to the project lol

Brute 23":14wxwxsm said:
My dad and I have built quite a few over the years.

I agree with fence unless you want really good quality or some thing custom.

Did you all use channel for the tongues or tubing ?

We have all kinds of trailers. Some have angle iron, some have round tubing, some have square tubing for the tongue.

Being that it's only 5×10 a square tubing main tongue with maybe some angle iron braces would be my preference.

Angle iron, c channel, or square tubing would all work good. I just don't care for round tubing because of the saddles.

dieselbeef":1el9aq6x said:
liability.....unless yer talking about for yourself...I have converted almost all my bumper pulls to gooseneck.

Yea it's just for my usage around the farm and stuff.. I dont want all gooseneck trailers cause not all trucks have a gooseneck hitch.. but if I had in all trucks I would.

Brute 23":1el9aq6x said:
We have all kinds of trailers. Some have angle iron, some have round tubing, some have square tubing for the tongue.

Being that it's only 5×10 a square tubing main tongue with maybe some angle iron braces would be my preference.

Angle iron, c channel, or square tubing would all work good. I just don't care for round tubing because of the saddles.

Yea only thing about the tubing for tongue is with my stump grinder and hitting dips and bumps in the rd my utility trailers tongues got a bow in it

Latest posts