Building the herd up opinions?

Help Support CattleToday:

talltimber":w2xigi3n said:
x2. I bought another six from a guy, nice pretty set of cows. Looks like aint but one of them, maybe two gonna stay. Buy six to get one or two doesn't sound like too good of a proposition either.

Very low percentage retained. What are they being culled for?

Cow 1: two calves in a row contracted tendons

Cow 2: two calves in a row, weak, after what in assuming difficult births on small calves. I saved the first one, not the second.

Cows above raised some great calves, IF you can get them up and going.

Cow three: slipped first calf a week after buying. It was hot when I moved them though. Kept her. Last calf, maggots, due to what I assume was partially caused by not cleaning calf good enough.

Cow 4: some foot problem I couldn't fix. Slaughter.

Cow 5: lost second calf. I think she had trouble, calf weak, cold, died. I'm keeping her. I won't put all of that one on her alone.

Cow 6: no trouble. Two great calves. As good as any others I've had. But was pretty high headed when I got her. I figure that's why they sent her. The rest of them has really calmed her though. Good momma.

The reference to first/second calves are since I've had them. 4-6 yo cows when I purchased.

The cows I've bought and been happy with were off a guy using a lot of AI & ET. He didn't have enough pasture and wanted rid of some older cows to keep several heifers.

Have you thought about hauling cattle I did for years. I was going to the salebarn anyway. I started hauling for the locals and helping the old men in there 70's and 80's. Charged ten bucks a head I picked up a lot of good deals through the years. Most of them are dead now and their kids sold their cows as fast as they could. That is another way to pick up some good girls just so sad to see a mans life work go poof.

Caustic Burno":3gbplm9e said:
Have you thought about hauling cattle I did for years. I was going to the salebarn anyway. I started hauling for the locals and helping the old men in there 70's and 80's. Charged ten bucks a head I picked up a lot of good deals through the years. Most of them are dead now and their kids sold their cows as fast as they could. That is another way to pick up some good girls just so sad to see a mans life work go poof.
Amen to what you said. I tease my wife that she will call the sale barn to come pen and haul my cows and then call the funeral home to come get me.

BC":2dfmo7j7 said:
Caustic Burno":2dfmo7j7 said:
Amen to what you said. I tease my wife that she will call the sale barn to come pen and haul my cows and then call the funeral home to come get me.

Mine is going to call the auction barn, then my life insurance company, and then the funeral home.

Rafter S":24b371l6 said:
BC":24b371l6 said:
Caustic Burno":24b371l6 said:

Mine is going to call the auction barn, then my life insurance company, and then the funeral home.
The first storyteller doesn't have a chance. Rafter S, how are things in the "Land of Milk and Honey"?

BC":309ofue9 said:
Rafter S":309ofue9 said:
BC":309ofue9 said:

The first storyteller doesn't have a chance. Rafter S, how are things in the "Land of Milk and Honey"?

Things are going pretty well. The honey is still rocking along, but there's not much milk these days. There's an all-Jersey dairy still going down the road from me, but that's the only working dairy left in the county.

Latest posts