Building that perfect cow

Help Support CattleToday:

And now for something completely different... the original topic.
Son of Butch":2f7kmftz said:
Seriously though, show ring has chased building the perfect cow for decades upon decades and has contributed little.
Goal should be building a profitable herd. Only 2 types of cows, good cows (profitable) and bad cows (not profitable)
Best a commercial man can hope for is a herd of Very Good cows.
No such thing as a perfect cow.

Son of Butch":3fwd1dyw said:
And now for something completely different... the original topic.
Son of Butch":3fwd1dyw said:
Seriously though, show ring has chased building the perfect cow for decades upon decades and has contributed little.
Goal should be building a profitable herd. Only 2 types of cows, good cows (profitable) and bad cows (not profitable)
Best a commercial man can hope for is a herd of Very Good cows.
No such thing as a perfect cow.
Much cheaper to maintain a good cow versus a bad one.
Unless you keep detailed records you don't have a clue. At 1.50 a day if a cow doesn't deliver a calf every 12 months and wean her calf within 10% of her peer group along with being in the top tier sellers you need a better cow

I have been pondering this on my own. I am thinking about the cow that raises the calf loosing the least condition. But I'm also kicking around the idea how can I improve my forage and produce it most efficiently which meets her requirements without purchased feed stuff.

That's what I'm trying for. The most profitable cow possible. Lots more opinions then I was expecting. I am really leaning towards breeding Brahman. Out of the 2 bulls on select sires page would you recommend for building good quality heifers? I don't have the slightest knowledge of Brahman epds. Also I'm thinking about trying a simital , and a semiangus bull. (Sorry for the spelling) is there any added value for the white face? I see a lot of the semi's have them.

The perfect cow: Lives on twigs, water, sunshine (or snow).

Weans a 750 pound calf in 205 days, 1350 lbs in twelve months.

Breeds back the same day you put the bull in (or first AI).

I'm still looking for her.

I'm a big fan of Brahman crosses myself, but being in Kansas breeding to Brahman might not be best for you. Have you looked at Brangus? That will get you a little ear, but you shouldn't take the beating on the steers that I'm afraid you will with straight Brahman.

Seriously though, in almost any environment, what cow is desired? The Hereford cross. In the North, Cross her with Angus. South, Brahman. We occasionally hear of BWF taking a dock, but they mostly make a premium. High altitude, sea level, no matter where you take her, she performs.

Caustic Burno":gr7mjzom said:
Go back and reread the whole paragraph

Ok I've done that.. And I still don't see where it says 40% of the US herd is brahman influence. Spell it out for me here. I'm not arguing it isn't true, only that I don't see it stated as such.

Tbrake":15p3ietb said:
That's what I'm trying for. The most profitable cow possible. Lots more opinions then I was expecting. I am really leaning towards breeding Brahman. Out of the 2 bulls on select sires page would you recommend for building good quality heifers? I don't have the slightest knowledge of Brahman epds. Also I'm thinking about trying a simital , and a semiangus bull. (Sorry for the spelling) is there any added value for the white face? I see a lot of the semi's have them.
I live in the SW corner of KS. Help with and run a few head in West Central OK.I personally wouldn't go Brahman. Maybe one with a little Brahma influence. We have a few cows with Brangus influence about 1/4. They raise good calves but aren't docked. If going for BWF I would go the Hereford route. They bring a premium here but the Simi crosses with WF's are cut off or docked many times. My relatives and friends in the feeding end like the angus/hereford cross. The Char X isn't as popular as it used to be. As a relative told me that the consistent quality isn't there like it used to be. So whatever you select be very careful in selection. I feel selection is the most important thing in our management. What I select today whether female or male will impact my herd and it's profitability for several years.

Stocker Steve":3djc94lm said:
elkwc":3djc94lm said:
If going for BWF I would go the Hereford route. They bring a premium here but the Simi crosses with WF's are cut off or docked many times.

Why are simi crosses docked in your area?

The feeders I know know what works for them. They know what feeds the best and what makes the most dollars so pay accordingly when buying. Each has a little different preference but most in this area follow the same lines. These thoughts are echoed by the feedlot managers I know and talk too. As a commercial breeder I try to raise what they prefer as that will likely determine how the calves we produce will sell.Most managers I talk to or hear prefer no more than 1/4 exotic in the cattle they buy.

Supa Dexta":2q8fxrcn said:
Caustic Burno":2q8fxrcn said:
Go back and reread the whole paragraph

Ok I've done that.. And I still don't see where it says 40% of the US herd is brahman influence. Spell it out for me here. I'm not arguing it isn't true, only that I don't see it stated as such.
Here you go sorry took so long getting back Mrs and I were on date night.

http://www.bifconference.com/bif2012/su ... onment.htm

elkwc":2qe3bl31 said:
Stocker Steve":2qe3bl31 said:

The feeders I know know what works for them. They know what feeds the best and what makes the most dollars so pay accordingly when buying. Each has a little different preference but most in this area follow the same lines. These thoughts are echoed by the feedlot managers I know and talk too. As a commercial breeder I try to raise what they prefer as that will likely determine how the calves we produce will sell.Most managers I talk to or hear prefer no more than 1/4 exotic in the cattle they buy.

Simi are pretty growthy, and supposed to marble better than most continentals... So where is the problem?

Stocker Steve":14u0txpm said:
elkwc":14u0txpm said:
Stocker Steve":14u0txpm said:

Simi are pretty growthy, and supposed to marble better than most continentals... So where is the problem?

Yep. Never heard of Sim being the problem. Always get good prices on blacks or black blazes. The only problems I've had around here at the sale barn are trying to sell reds or Hereford crosses. Even too much white will get you docked if it resembles Hereford markings. Been raising and selling both for years. Always heard that Herefords didn't feed out as desired. Just my observations and what I've heard from feeders around here! Other areas didn't mind the red.

SIMMGAL":osmu2ttm said:
Always heard that Herefords didn't feed out as desired. Just my observations and what I've heard from feeders around here! Other areas didn't mind the red.

"Good" Herefords can sell well, but some are flat muscled and don't grade.

Stocker Steve":1f9fecj6 said:
SIMMGAL":1f9fecj6 said:
Always heard that Herefords didn't feed out as desired. Just my observations and what I've heard from feeders around here! Other areas didn't mind the red.

"Good" Herefords can sell well, but some are flat muscled and don't grade.

I agree with Steve it is the bloodlines and the quality of the animal. There are those in every breed that feed and perform better than others. A good Hereford or Hereford/Angus cross will feed and grade well. I could provide you some some sources of recent results. An Angus base is still preferred by most.

Latest posts