Building Gates with Poly Rope

Help Support CattleToday:

jhambley

Reaction score
I have several large gate openings in my high tensile electric fence that would be very expensive to purchase gates for. Thought I might use poly rope and spring handles to build the gates. I was wondering if anyone had some good designs (or first hand experience) for gates built using poly rope?

I quir using the poly stuff for gates and went to the electiic bungy material. The hold up better and since the have elasticity you can make them tight with no adverse affects

Dun,

I've seen the "bungy" rope sold on a roll. Could you please tell me in detail how you attach each end of the cord?
What post hooks, handles, etc. do you use?

I'm guessing you pull power from the handle side correct?

The "spring gates" work really well. We've got them in two places. They are hot when hooked up too. We are using the Gallagher Spring Gates that look like a slinky. I can imagine them getting smashed some day but ours are doing great now. I have seen someone use a smashed up one on a semi permanent polywire fence. They used about a 6 or 8 inch piece of the spring to make an inline tensioner for polywire. With plolywire and a spring handle you have an inch or two to work with and to hold tension... but with the spring gate it will work for 10-12' and bigger.. ours are on 16' openings and seem perfect.

I used tape for a while. It worked but the gates needed to be replaced after a couple years.

Now I am using poly rope with a spring handle on one end and an insulator on the other. A wire nut on one end of an insulated wire and four wraps around the poly rope on the other end provide a path for the juice.

Slinkys seem over priced.

You're probably right, if the other option is making one from a piece of rope or twine. If you're looking at the little "kits" for bungy gates then the slinky gates look to be about 1 or 2 dollars cheaper. 20 bucks compared to 22.

We tried polytape since we liked the visibility but it doesn't last; the wires burn through where it's tied to the handles. We've used the steel spring gates, but they're expensive and won't reach across most of our gate openings(we kept 30' openings for equipment.) We have one opening where my husband used high tensile wire, he will not be doing that again; it coils & tangles when opened, there's too much tension on the handles and they wear out too fast, etc.

We stayed with polywire. If it's a permanent fence then it's tied to an insulator on a steel or wood post, it it's a temporary fence we use fiberglass T's at corners or ends of a run. The other end hooks up to the hotwire with a handle.

We also use a step-in post in the middle of the gate wire. If you have a double wire gate, it helps keep them from tangling. You can open a gate and use the post to keep the polywire & handles off the ground. Or, you can unhook the gate handles, pull the post and drop the whole thing on the ground to drive over; pick up the post and the wires aren't twisted together.

milesvb":1swtzuu5 said:
dun":1swtzuu5 said:
This pretty much lists all of the stuff ou need to make them
http://www.kencove.com/kencoveNew/detail.php?code=GBFT
Here's a picture of a ready made bungy gate
http://www.valleyvet.com/group_images/23715_A.jpg

You are correct, when the gate is open it isn;t powered, wehn it is hooked it has power

How well do the bungee type gates hold up to sunlight?

We have one that's been up for about 4 years and still is like new. What I like about them is if they're not needed as a gate I can just wrap them up and use them somewhere else. We have probably a dozen places that we use them that way. A couple are up almost all the time. There is one place that is about 35 foot wide when we set the paddock up one way and about 15 when we set it up another. When I set it up the wide way I just put a temp post in the middle and hook 2 bungy gates together in the middle.
If I use a gate to power a section, i.e. as a switch, I use high tensil and just coil it up out of the way when it's not needed.

Thanks for all the replies. I did some checking around and apparently there is a national bungy cord shortage in the US.
I was told by several suppliers that they don't even know when they will have it back in stock. So it looks like for now at least I'll use the poly rope and then go back and rework the gates with bungy cord when it becomes available.

I agree with one of the posters that the "slinky" type kits are too expensive for the number of gates I have to build.

Thanks again for all the advice on this thread.

Jerry