Building a Pasture-Fed Herd

Help Support CattleToday:

lead_dog

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to this thread, and I'm new to cattle raising. Getting long on book knowledge, but short on practical experience.

We own 70 acres; 50 in pasture, and will move there in 14 months, at which time we'll start an integrated farm with beef cattle, pastured broilers and layers.

1. I'm trying to determine the best breed to start with to be completely forage based, that calves easily and finishes on pasture as quickly as possible. I've heard Angus, I've heard Hereford, but all the reading tells me that hybrid vigor dictates a crossbreed. It gets confusing.

2. What is the best way for me to build my herd? Do I buy some cow/calfs and just try to improve it over time by breeding the best heifers with the best bull I can buy, or is there something else I can do this year to get the herd established.

As an FYI, we live in Georgia.

Thanks for any help you can provide...we're really excited about this.

Lead Dog, I think I would go to the local auction barn if I were you and pay attention to what fetches the most nickels. The tables are starting to turn here in Texas. The last two auctions I have sat through angus were on bottom. No one was bidding. Cross bred range cattle where fetching about $200 more than angus. Angus calves may still be holding their own but cows are not.

You are going to be in a warm climate but not quite as arid as where I am. Look around and see what thrives in your environment, with the grasses that grow in your pastures.

If you get some hereford cows and put an angus over them, you will probably get some decent baldies. Baldies of any kind have traditionally held good market prices no matter what the niche and hoopla is at the time.

Backhoe,

Thanks for the reply...I should have mentioned that my goal is to raise the cattle all the way through to finishing, then process, pack and direct market. In the end, I don't plan on selling any at auction, but buying some there to start is possible.

Just an FYI to let you know what I'm thinking.

lead_dog":1e0lg7mg said:
Backhoe,

Thanks for the reply...I should have mentioned that my goal is to raise the cattle all the way through to finishing, then process, pack and direct market. In the end, I don't plan on selling any at auction, but buying some there to start is possible.

Just an FYI to let you know what I'm thinking.

You will sell at the salebarn you are going to have to build a reputation first to direct market to the public, that could take a lot of years.

lead_dog":2ek7grve said:
Hi,

I'm new to this thread, and I'm new to cattle raising. Getting long on book knowledge, but short on practical experience.

We own 70 acres; 50 in pasture, and will move there in 14 months, at which time we'll start an integrated farm with beef cattle, pastured broilers and layers.

1. I'm trying to determine the best breed to start with to be completely forage based, that calves easily and finishes on pasture as quickly as possible. I've heard Angus, I've heard Hereford, but all the reading tells me that hybrid vigor dictates a crossbreed. It gets confusing.

2. What is the best way for me to build my herd? Do I buy some cow/calfs and just try to improve it over time by breeding the best heifers with the best bull I can buy, or is there something else I can do this year to get the herd established.

As an FYI, we live in Georgia.

Thanks for any help you can provide...we're really excited about this.

Here in Oklahoma the Noble Foundation ( http://www.noble.org ) is extremely helpful for newbys and old timers, too. GA Tech probably has a lot of good info on their website. Find the ag Extension office in your area. Join your local/state cattlemen's group and attend meetings. I'd be surprised if there's not someone local that is willing to help you with some advice and suggestions.

Will you be in an area that supports direct sales of your calves to customers for beef? Is that your goal?

Watch for info on special cow sales. Our state cattlemen's group has a female replacement sale every fall. The cattle brought in to sell have a history. You can talk to the breeders/owners. They will be able to tell you the breeding on the animal, plus what she's bred to. They'll probably cost more than sale barn cattle, but IMO, it would be worth it.

As for breed kind of cattle, I believe you can find Angus to fit almost any bill. They tell me the smaller ones work better for grass finishing. But if you're selling through the sale barn, bigger framed animals are often preferred. Good luck....

Just a question with the small number of acres you have to work with how much freezer beef do you think you will be marketing? Are you planning on retained owner ship until the plate. It just seems if that is all the land you are going to have it will be tough to make a living of beef.

I just hope that Georgia has less coyotes than we have in Alabama or that free range layer/broiler business is going to be scary.

Brandonm2":m41xab23 said:
I just hope that Georgia has less coyotes than we have in Alabama or that free range layer/broiler business is going to be scary.

:lol: Neighbors dogs and feral cats will get the ones the coyotes don't get.

MikeC":cekaw6dp said:
Brandonm2":cekaw6dp said:

:lol: Neighbors dogs and feral cats will get the ones the coyotes don't get.

Don't forget the chicken snakes and Raccoons

Sounds like you're on the right track with your learning. For terminal animals (those to be finished), there certainly are benefits to hybrid vigor. In order to have hybrid vigor, you need cattle with homozygosis. Purebred cattle have some, and linebred cattle have lots of homozygosis.

I would suggest subscribing to Stockman Grass Farmer, and I'd suggest visiting Kit Pharo's site http://www.pharocattle.com. My experience indicates that smaller-framed early maturing animals with historic genetics may finish better on grass. Most breeds began breeding out fat in the 60's and 70's, and bigger non-fat animals do not tend to finish as well on grass in my opinion.

Hi, and thanks for all the suggestions. I do subscribe to Stockman's, Graze, read everything on ATTRA, Joel Salatin, etc.

I don't plan on this being my only income, and I'm aware that this is small acerage. Actually I'm coming at it from the other side. We wanted the land for ourselves and to raise as much of our food as we could, but clearly we could raise a lot more than we need. As I read about the benefits of pasture raised animals, that, coupled with our desire to have a good environment for animals, led me down the path of creating a brand and direct marketing.

I realize that many of you think that will take me years to do, but establishing brands and direct marketing is my 25 year background and I'm VERY comfortable in that arena. Part of the brand however is to have a good product, and that's why I'm trying to determine how to start with the cattle.

I'll deal with the coyotes with donkeys in the herd.

It will be fun.

backhoeboogie":1zohlzlk said:
Lead Dog, I think I would go to the local auction barn if I were you and pay attention to what fetches the most nickels. The tables are starting to turn here in Texas. The last two auctions I have sat through angus were on bottom. No one was bidding. Cross bred range cattle where fetching about $200 more than angus. Angus calves may still be holding their own but cows are not.

You are going to be in a warm climate but not quite as arid as where I am. Look around and see what thrives in your environment, with the grasses that grow in your pastures.

If you get some hereford cows and put an angus over them, you will probably get some decent baldies. Baldies of any kind have traditionally held good market prices no matter what the niche and hoopla is at the time.

This was pretty darned good advice. Cross bred cows with an Angus bull, that's the ticket.

If you want to sell beef (and have the very best for
your family), IMO you should start with cattle that
have a genetic predisposition for tenderness, i.e.
the DNA tenderness genes. All the good management
(and weather) in the world cannot make up for
genetic toughness.

Here's a breed comparison for the original two
tenderness genes:

DNA_Chart012.jpg

You will note that Murray Greys have the most frequent
percentage of "one and two star" ratings for the
then known tenderness genes. A third gene(another
type of calpain) has been discovered, but the company
involved( Bovigen) will not publish another breed comparison.
I was told it was bad for business & they won't release
comparisons anymore.

Take a look at Murray Greys. We've been selling the
beef for over 10 years and have never had a complaint;
a waiting list in fact:
http://www.murraygrey.org

Latest posts