Building a milking barn

Help Support CattleToday:

LoveMoo11

Reaction score
I'm trying to piece together how much it would cost to build a 50 or 60 head dairy barn with stancions, rotary gutter, and a pipeline milking system. I was wondering if anyone could point me towards some places where I might find these types of numbers or where I could comparison shop for equipment.

Your best bet would be to contact either you local dairy supply company or Delaval or one of the manufacturers and talk to tehir reps

dun has the right idea.i can give you a pretty solid guess on the cost of building a new tiestall barn.most new barns like that run $7000 to $8000 a cow to build.the more work you can do building the barn the more money you can save.your looking at close to $500,000 for a 60 to 70hd barn.then another $125,000 for cows.id suggest renting a dairy for a few years before i built 1.then you can get the cows an needed equipment paid for.

farm auctions is a great place to pick up used equipment, you can go talk to a local dairy supply store, they may have used equipment to buy from them also. Thats what we did, we bought a pipeline systwm from a retired dairy farmer down the road, its old but it still works, we bought a used Mueller Bulk tank, that our future fieldman found for us, had the surge dealer come out and install everything so it worked, that was pretty expensive, and this took about 2-3 years, we raised up calves until they were cows, and started slow.

If you want a overnight barn, its gonna cost more money, I know a guy just built a barn from scratch fancy automatic take offs, the whole 9 yards, up to date and fancy, milking 16 at a time, 32 in at one time, he has about $300,000 into it, milking 105 first calf heifers which he had already, don't know if he owns them free or clear, but at these milk prices I would advise the least debt as possible.

Good luck

Thanks for the suggestions. We have been looking into buying a place so we decided to do the math and see how much it would cost to build one ourselves and then just buy the house/land. My boyfriend and his father would be able to do most of the building, water, and electric themselves, so I am mostly looking at the equip. and material costs. thanks again.

LoveMoo11 said:
Thanks for the suggestions. We have been looking into buying a place so we decided to do the math and see how much it would cost to build one ourselves and then just buy the house/land. My boyfriend and his father would be able to do most of the building, water, and electric themselves, so I am mostly looking at the equip. and material costs. I had not considered NOT building an overnight barn, but now that it has been suggested that is definitely something to mull over.

I am just a bit curious. Is a tie-stall system an efficient and user-friendly system? I've never actually seen one in person. Guess I always thought they were popular back in the day and have become somewhat obsolete in favor of free stall systems. Is there a reason you aren't considering free stalls?

novaman":2sw8jzp7 said:
I am just a bit curious. Is a tie-stall system an efficient and user-friendly system? I've never actually seen one in person. Guess I always thought they were popular back in the day and have become somewhat obsolete in favor of free stall systems. Is there a reason you aren't considering free stalls?
Tie barns are still fairly comjmon in parts ofthe country with horrible winters.

dun":gqmrcy1x said:
Tie barns are still fairly comjmon in parts ofthe country with horrible winters.
Forgive me but why wouldn't free stall barns also be popular in areas with harsh winters?

novaman":3rrafnl8 said:
dun":3rrafnl8 said:
Forgive me but why wouldn't free stall barns also be popular in areas with harsh winters?

Nova that is all that you see here (freestall barns) unless it is a show outfit that has two separate groups, the actual milking herd is in the free stall barn and the fancy show cattle are in the tie stall barn...

We have pretty severe winters here -40 and lower for weeks at a time and the milk cows do just fine in their free stall barn. The only animals that got straw in winter were calves, dry cows and the replacements. The milkers in the free stalls had saw dust bedding year round . You just have to build your barn to accommodate sever weather.

Latest posts