Building a herd.

Help Support CattleToday:

MartinFarms

Reaction score
I live in Northwest Georgia and currently have 9 cows. The cows are a mix of GV, Brahman X, Simmental, and Gert. I use a Charolais bull for terminal calves and the yellow/tan calves sell right along with the black hides. I am only 23 and want to build a solid herd for the future so I am looking for a maternal bull to use on my current herd and keep the best heifers. I really like my GV and Brahman influenced cows they raise great calves, easy keepers and have great maternal qualities. So, I have decided to go with either a red Gelbvieh, Beef Master, or a Gert bull. Unfortunately due to work I am not able to be present for every birth and do calve in the pasture so calving ease is of importance. What is everyone's opinions regarding the use of one of the three breeds mentioned above to slowly start building a herd?

Thanks,
Sean

your located pretty much in the same area i am...... id go with gelbvieh, and build from there.. to a 1/4 brahamn cow just keeping enough ear in the cow for our climate and market

Latest posts