building a fence in a area that floods

Help Support CattleToday:

shotgun7

Reaction score
well i am looking to buy some land soon and get some cattle...but it will probably be pretty far from where i am living....i have about a acre behind the house i could fence in , but it floods about twice maybe more a year...i was just wondering if a good built barb wire fence could halfway hold up to that thanks

shotgun7":pk4lxihf said:
well i am looking to buy some land soon and get some cattle...but it will probably be pretty far from where i am living....i have about a acre behind the house i could fence in , but it floods about twice maybe more a year...i was just wondering if a good built barb wire fence could halfway hold up to that thanks

We have ground that floods also. (still under water thanks to Frances and Ivan) We had woven wire and a strand of barb on top. Fast running water and debri(sp?) from the creek wiped it out.

In your case, if the field floods then receeds quickly and there is no current, a well built barb wire fence work fins. Just my opinion though.

My two cents, I agree with certherbeef, but also make sure that in a year when there is lots of statnding water the cows have a big enough area to get out of the water and move around on dry land. An acre is big, enough but not very big. The cows can't take standing in water all day and being rained on.

shotgun7":2iex6o3w said:

Don't mean to be a pessimist; however, one acre that is prone to flooding 2+ times a year is a serious problem waiting to happen with cattle. Would only use this acre for temporary holding pen. Also, advise you get the land and quality fencing first...then, think about getting cattle to put on it. Or, sell your present place, get something in country so you and your proposed cattle can move there.

Remember...about 1 acre grazing per head of cattle about the limit. Any place that floods or stays muddy where cattle are is disease and other cattle problems waiting to happen. And, remember that too many cattle per acre will destroy the grass there and subject the land to erosion, especially with flooding or heavy rains.

i would sell the place, but dont think the parents would like that...yea i still live wit my parents at the moment...am only 19

have a good one

Latest posts