Building a Bridge

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
On a small scale, or at least, building a small scale bridge. They have been working on this one since the end of October, it has been rather painful to watch. This bridge is about 1/2 mile from our house. Today they laid the platform. 7 rather large blocks of cement, each came on it's own triaxle semi trialer. The crane is 200 tons and has a reach of 100 feet.

View attachment 1

View attachment 2

What did they do? Looks like they dug a hole so the could build a bridge across it.

Got one of those about 50 miles east of here. :lol: Purpose of this bridge was to allow a coal mine conveyor belt to pass under. After the highway department got the bridge built, epa regulations made it cheaper to import "cleaner coal" than to use the local lignite coal. The conveyor was never built and the mine shut down. So we have a bridge the spans a man-made hole. :roll:

It does look like they dug the hole there, but it is a creek. In the bottom picture you can see the edge of the 'bypass' that was built. Basically they put a couple little culverts in the creek, then put some plastic down so they wouldn't contaminate the creek with the gravel :roll: , and then made a road over the creek with gravel. It is fortunate for them that the creek is, and has been all summer, basically dry. And we don't get much for downpours at this time of the year, or their little bypass would be contaminating the creek for a ways, when it washed out.

It is all done by government agencies, so you can guess from that how everything is done :roll:

That bridge looks like a dandy. However, I'm amazed that you do not have at least two tiers of silt fencing on the lower side of the slope as well as the upper side. And where is all the ryegrass and hay bales to back up the silt fencing? Afterall, you could have a 1000 year flood and the dirt could get washed uphill or some other catastrophe. I suppose that small board in the background of the second picture is ya'lls version of the required OSHA safety data for the job. You know, the board that has all the helpful hints on it like "don't drink the gasoline" and stuff like that.

Fred Belknap":16466l5i said:
Did that for a living for 30 some years. Those sections of concrete have prestressed steel cables length way through them. It makes a good bridge and is quick to build. (sorta)
Fred

Fred - I don't think you can put government, bridge building, and quick in the same room together, much less the same sentence! :lol:

grannysoo":co86rsvl said:
Fred Belknap":co86rsvl said:
Did that for a living for 30 some years. Those sections of concrete have prestressed steel cables length way through them. It makes a good bridge and is quick to build. (sorta)
Fred

Fred - I don't think you can put government, bridge building, and quick in the same room together, much less the same sentence! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts