Build or Modular????

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds":3acls7no said:
We have always wanted to live in a log home, not like the ones in the magazines too expensive.

Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

I am not selling anything I am just trying to give you some information:

If you are interested in a log home you will probably be shocked at the cost of the kits that are sold. You might be better off purchasing your logs from a mill and hiring someone to set them. The kit companies all have their own crews and build the cabin/home completely from the ground up. They get top dollar for everything. Some kits I've seen priced at $300.00 per square foot excluding land-septic-well. If you had a good general contractor you should be able to get the costs to under $100.00 PSF by buying logs from a mill and not a kit. In our part of the country, $100.00 PSF will get you a VERY well constructed frame or log home.

Here is a link to a cabin we built, 980 sq feet, 2 acres of land, with well and septic- sold for 99,000.00 We do build and sell these things but like I said I am not trying to sell you anything. Here are links to the pics- if one doesn't work, try the other.

http://www.millstreaminn.com/photos.htm
http://mail.millstreaminn.com/photos.htm

One more thing- It used to be modulars were total junk- cheap windows, plastic molding, hollow core doors, plastic laminate cabinets- everything was as cheap as possible.

It seems the modulars I see nowadays are just like everything else. You can upgrade anything you want and basically get whatever you can afford. Fancy dormers, Anderson Windows, Kraftmaid cabinets- all major manufacturer stuff. IMHO- modulars are as good a way to go as any and they can usually be completed faster than a conventional framed home.

Millstreaminn,
I've been doing my homework on this, alot.
Just to get ideas I called and e-mailed different log home companies across the US. Needless to say some have still not gotten back to me, one was rude to my husband and one other guy couldn't look us in the eye when we talked to him.
I did finally find a company west of us who not only helped us settle on a floor plan, but was willing to give us as much info as we needed.
The log milling guys who sell them for homes never got back to me. Called and e-mailed them last year. Never heard a thing.

I luv herfrds":2wgn2wrn said:
one other guy couldn't look us in the eye when we talked to him.

You did the right thing avoided that one. Surely there is something amiss if he cannot be honest and believe in what he is selling.

I Luv,

Framing and drying in a house is not all that difficult and can be a lot of fun for the novice. You can make the changes you need to to increase the strength of the house and do things to make it more energy efficient.

As Backhoe mentioned you will probably have to contract out some aspect of the build project like electrical, plumbing, concrete finishing if you build on a slab. That's part of the fun in doing it yourself. YOU get to decide what you do and do not want to tackle. And the best part is when it's all done you can say "I did this".

I wish you a lot of luck if you decide to build your own home.

A family member oversaw the constructioin of our house, absolutely the nicest builder one could ask for, I wired it and did part of the plumbing, not by choice on the latter. If we ever build another it will be turnkey, I'm not touching anything. A friend of mine put up a modular at the same time. There's issues with each, but I wouldn't hesitate to get a modular if I felt the quality of the house was equal. Talk to the builders and look at some of their previous work before doing anything. Then talk to the owners when the builder isn't around.

cfpinz

I luv herfrds":1nhycyor said:
Husband and I have been talking about building a house. We have never built one before.
Just wondering if anybody else has built a house and would you do it again?

Would it be easier to just get a modular house? Unfortunately the ones I have seen just do not look that well built and I am concerned about our winds.

We have always wanted to live in a log home, not like the ones in the magazines too expensive.

Do a website search on sips panels. They are a good alternative to convential building.

I did most of the building on my last house and will build my next one. The single best thing I learned was that a lot of construction people want to work for cash on the weekends. Ask around at the local specialty supply house (not Lowes or Home Depot) for whatever trade you need. For instance, if you need an electrician, go to your local electrical supply shop. As always, buyer beware. Talk to the person before you hire them. What you want is a foreman or above with a good reputation and the required licenses or certifications. Typically they will work for two-thirds to half of the going rate a construction company would charge you.

ETF":1bmx0jow said:
I did most of the building on my last house and will build my next one. The single best thing I learned was that a lot of construction people want to work for cash on the weekends. Ask around at the local specialty supply house (not Lowes or Home Depot) for whatever trade you need. For instance, if you need an electrician, go to your local electrical supply shop. As always, buyer beware. Talk to the person before you hire them. What you want is a foreman or above with a good reputation and the required licenses or certifications. Typically they will work for two-thirds to half of the going rate a construction company would charge you.

That is all fine and good but you'd best beware of your insurance companies. When I went to get house insurance I have to furnish certification of quality workmansip. Having a Professional Engineering stamp is not good enough. So if you hire someone, you'd best get their work certified.

millstreaminn":19x4ot96 said:
One more thing- It used to be modulars were total junk- cheap windows, plastic molding, hollow core doors, plastic laminate cabinets- everything was as cheap as possible.

It seems the modulars I see nowadays are just like everything else. You can upgrade anything you want and basically get whatever you can afford. Fancy dormers, Anderson Windows, Kraftmaid cabinets- all major manufacturer stuff. IMHO- modulars are as good a way to go as any and they can usually be completed faster than a conventional framed home.

Where it gets cold in the winter, that is the big advantage or mods. You arent as dependent on the weather as you are for site built homes and you can get into one more quickly.

Earl I couldn't get my husband to build a little chicken house in the 6 years I had the supplies, so I know for a fact I couldn't get him to do a house in less then 20 years. :roll:

ETF I do not shop at Home Depot. Couldn't get helped and got the run around the last time I went in there Never going again.There are a couple of small places around that I will check out. Alrerady got my builder picked out. He built my chicken house and did the son's room after a fire. Fastest worker I ever saw and everything is still standing, can't say the same for some of the stuff I've built. :lol:

I luv herfrds":q1ez8gcd said:
Husband and I have been talking about building a house. We have never built one before.
Just wondering if anybody else has built a house and would you do it again?

Would it be easier to just get a modular house? Unfortunately the ones I have seen just do not look that well built and I am concerned about our winds.

We built a log home, about 9 years ago. Love it, couldn't imagine living elsewhere. Having said that, if we were to do it again, we'd either divorce or I'd murder him. It's more stress than you know....and worth more to your soul.....
V

if we were to do it again, we'd either divorce or I'd murder him. It's more stress than you know

Same here. My wife started "Decorating" the same day the slab was poured. :lol: :lol:

MikeC":6jtcb8u9 said:
if we were to do it again, we'd either divorce or I'd murder him. It's more stress than you know

Same here. My wife started "Decorating" the same day the slab was poured. :lol: :lol:

:lol: I have heard these stories from others, but my wife and I did not go there. We had differences, and I drafted it a few times before I started, but we never had serious arguments.

I wanted to cut the next one down to about 2500 square feet. She is wanting it as big as the one we currently live in. Why build another one then? is my question. So we haven't started on it yet. She tells me if I build a guest cottage for the children and grandchildren, then she'll accept something smaller. I am secretly thinking about a "guest cottage" at the farm and that's it :lol: She might kill me over that!

Took us two years to just agree upon a floor plan.
The final (I hope) floor plan is a Ranch style that is 44'x56'
No loft that was a big debate (Nice way to say large argument) and no cathedrail ceilings another debate.

Heard that there are quite a few divorces while building a home.

When the time comes to to either build or buy I really hope we are building.

Vicky one of the posts they said that the log homes can be dusty, is this true? My house is dusty now with no rain.
MikeC I'm not decorating yet, but I am planning the placement of everything right now. Not furniture, just the kitchen and other things.

I luv herfrds":1sbxakp9 said:
Vicky one of the posts they said that the log homes can be dusty, is this true?

My parents have a log cabin they use as a camp. I have never known it to be any dustier than my house. Of course my Mom keeps her camp clean and I am in charge of keeping my house clean so that probably says a lot... :D

I luv herfrds said:
Vicky one of the posts they said that the log homes can be dusty, is this true? My house is dusty now with no rain.
quote]
Well, I live in a house with 2 golden retrievers, a long haired cat, two kids and my hubby. I'm surrounded by fields and I work ~70 hours a week. Dusty? No more than would be expected by my life as it is. Amazing sound insulation, as well as cold etc. It has to be properly engineered, so as your logs settle you still can open doors, windows etc.

And the reasons hubby and I argued, was that he would agree with whatever the tradesmen proposed, and I'd blow up because it wasn't as planned and would wreck a feature I wanted....such as a non functioning laundry chute due to a beam in the middle of it now.....or hubby agreed that I'd insulate the place and not who was hired.....just added stress.

My stress wasn't due to it being log, in fact that likely greatly decreased my stress. Working with the logs, sanding, caulking was more of a stress reliever.....

I am in the process of building a house now. I am finally going to live on my own farm :D Anyway.....I am contracting it myself. We are in the framing stage now. It is a pain in the behind following up after the sub-cons! It is a big house (4,000 sq. feet) and things move slow. Sub-cons look at the house and think that you are "wealthy" and up the normal price for the same work. Fortunatley I have a friend who is a very experienced contractor that supplies me with the going rate of specific jobs. It gives me some leverage.

Unfortunately it seems that alot of people think that since you are a farmer/rancher you are rich. Have friends that think that way, can't tell them nothing Hoss.

Thanks Vicky that answers the question. I could dust every day and it would still be dusty here too. 2 kids, 4 cats, 1 dog and a constant wind.

Did anybody start building in the fall? I have heard that it is better because alot of the jobs dry up around that time and you might be able to get the crews you need then. Talked to my builder friend and he said give them about 10 days to hunt for the season then they will be back on the job. He mentioned starting in either July or August, but no later then September to get the house closed in for the weather.

There are places that "panelize" the stick-built framing of your house and send it out to you on trucks which is less expensive than paying a contractor to stick build it on your property... Pacific Modern Homes in California does this and when we were looking at the pricing it was far less with that option and a contractor than building it from the ground up without the system being panelized... it would have had the windows in it, building paper on it, ready for roof plywood, plaster or wood paneling on the outside and install doors and you're dried in.

The quality and soundness of stick-built, but you get the advantage and savings of them cranking their floor plans out in the shop vs. making changes in the field.

That may help -- they even had several contractors that have worked with their product in our area that they gave us their names (of course without a formal reference because heaven forbid they recommend someone and we sue them for a bad experience).

Words to the wise:
1. research, research, research
2. understand your contracts with contractors thoroughly
3. do not pay for services until they are rendered, if someone says they won't do the work prior to getting paid = good bye, good riddance
4. do not pay 100% of the money until you are 100% satisfied with the work
5. do pay what is fair and reasonable for the work in place
6. get lien waivers to verify that all the contractors bills have been paid
7. do get a copy of the inspections from the City/County including the final inspection
8. it's a tough process, but you will get through it
9. enjoy your new home (about a year +/- from when you start)

Latest posts