Build or Modular????

Help Support CattleToday:

We are in the same boat, house or modular. A Modular with a full basement will have the same insurance rates as a house, as long as it is not considered moveable it is a house. I really wanted to build about 4 years ago, just didn't work out, and now, I'm leaning towards a modular, because its easier to get into faster, and may be less expensive than a house, then on the other hand, a house is a house can't get better than that! So really I am no help at all.

Dang Why Not that is a nightmare! :shock:
I really feel sorry for your friend getting the shaft like that from that guy. I don't blame you for being mad. Suicide is not the answer. Tell your friend just because one guy is a ding dong dosen't mean then next one will be too.
Had to start a lien on gravel we sold a sub contracor years ago. They were building an oil pipeline with a pumping station in the area. They took so many yards of gravel, but only paid for 3/4 of it. Called and wrote them (We had the truck tickets from the rock crusher) Refused any calls from me. Finally called a lawyer and the company that paid them paid us the rest. That sub has a bad reputation now. They screwed the rock crusher owners out of $28,000.00. The same contractor that paid us was not aware of the sub not paying everybody. I let them know what had happened. I don't know if they paid the crusher or not. The poor couple that owned it as their business almost lost it because of them.

Why Not since we are planning on working on a budget, should I take my builder and go get price estimates on everything? Such as tubs, showers, cabinets, sinks etc.? If there is a percentage of increase we should budget for? Such as construction changes in something that was not foreseen or something that needed to be replaced? Increased costs? I know they give a contractor a 10-15% dicount off of what they buy there.
I know to get just 3 estimates for the heating, plumbing, and electrical. There is a cement plant that is about 19 miles from us so no brainer there. The others are over 30 miles away. A friend has a backhoe and digs foundations so no problem there.
Anything else I should think about or know?
Can the roofing trusses be done with nails? I know alot of them have those pinch plates on them, but I have seen it where fire fighters have fallen through roofs when those plates fell off when they have been burned. Sorry I don't want to fall into my house in case of a fire. Got the run around and shrugs when I asked. Thanks Why Not.

My amish friend leaves the job site with $1,000 of the 13,000 he is owed. He has material people to pay and house payments of his own. The farmer says everthing is great and agrees the amish guy is complete outside of extras the farmer has just added. QUOTE:

Most contractors around here, ask for half the money up front, why didn't your friend do that? Seems kind of foolish to do the work first then get paid last, esp. for this kind of work. If I were him I wouldn't do one more thing until he gets the rest of his money, thats just not right.

In regards to the statememt of the guy having money, nice tractors, etc... my guess he doesn't have the money just alot of debt.

Hope it works out for him.

GMN

Why not...

I'm just advising all to the scam that some contractors are running that you have to pay 100% of the money up front before they even show up to put one thing in place... I'm okay with pay as the work progresses -- if you're 20% done, you get 20% pay -- no more/no less... if there's a critical material (say windows) that need to be purchased -- show me the invoice and I'll pay as soon as they all show up on my property safely without damage... but I won't pay for them sight unseen... too many scams going these days.

We always pay a fair and reasonable price for fair and reasonable service... you try anything else and I'll finish my contract with you and won't call you again in the future.