Build or Modular????

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Husband and I have been talking about building a house. We have never built one before.
Just wondering if anybody else has built a house and would you do it again?

Would it be easier to just get a modular house? Unfortunately the ones I have seen just do not look that well built and I am concerned about our winds.

We have always wanted to live in a log home, not like the ones in the magazines too expensive.

Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

We built ours over 20 years ago. We had a good builder. Construction was in a slump, so he was able to get subcontractors out on time. He got it finished right on time. I'm very happy with it. We did put a metal roof on it a few years ago. If we were building again, we might look at a steel frame rather than wood. They stand up to tornados better here in OK. Some friends just built a house. It's a beautiful, simple home for the two of them. The builder stacked up styrofoam molds, put rebar in them, and filled them with cement. The styrofoam is part of the insulation. It went up quickly. The outside is brick and siding; inside looks like any house. It's supposed to stand up to storms better, too. They also included a "safe" room.

We have been looking at that styrofoam molds. We don't have alot of tornados here, but they do crop up once in while. I have already talked to a contractor about turning the room with the furnance into a "safe room". He's all for it.

Husband wants to save up at 1/2 to 3/4 the cost of building. My concern is with the price of evryting going sky high we may never be able to save enough.
I have been doing alot of homework concerning this, talked to a banker I know that said that it is a good idea, the tax accountant agrees; but he told me that we should try to save enough to cover the increase cost, which means we need to save more each year.

The modular is the back up plan.

One of the problems with a log home is you cannot get conventional financing through many banks. This can cost you dearly.

Built a home once. Had a good builder and was very pleased.

I luv herfrds":2qijcdh1 said:
We have been looking at that styrofoam molds. We don't have alot of tornados here, but they do crop up once in while. I have already talked to a contractor about turning the room with the furnance into a "safe room". He's all for it.

Husband wants to save up at 1/2 to 3/4 the cost of building. My concern is with the price of evryting going sky high we may never be able to save enough.
I have been doing alot of homework concerning this, talked to a banker I know that said that it is a good idea, the tax accountant agrees; but he told me that we should try to save enough to cover the increase cost, which means we need to save more each year.

The modular is the back up plan.

I agree that it will be tough to save that much. Every year, the cost of building goes up. We had about half when we built and were able to pay the rest very quickly. You might go ahead and get your loan, build, and get started paying it off rather than trying to save so much up front. Loan interest rates seem to go up faster than savings rates.

One thing about log houses, though. They were all the rage many years ago, but the ones with log interiors (as opposed to sheet rock) got dusty. You just couldn't get the dust off the rough logs or out of the cracks. I haven't been in one in years, so I don't know what they're like now. Some of them look really nice from outside.

My cousin built a home of logs and redwood siding on Grandpa's old place. It's beautiful, surrounded by big trees and really blends in; looks like it grew there.

Might want to look at the cost of rie insurance for a log home. It used to be many times more then for a conventional stick built home.

I luv herefords-- We bought a Kober modular home 30+ years ago...Don't know if they still build them- but they are built just like a stick built--and were built in Billings, so they were built for our weather- trucked up in sections and they sat it on the 1/2 daylight basement foundation, without a crack in the sheetrock or a broken light or window pane :shock: House still does not have a crack anywhere...

We've had to have it reshingled a couple times because of hailstorms- but it has survived several storms where the winds were 80+ mph......

And by finishing the basement we ended up with 4 bedrooms (1 which is a large master bedroom with walk in closet and enough room for my wife to have all her sewing stuff set up), 2 bathrooms, utility room, office for me, living room and kitchen/dining room connected.....With the basement we ended up with almost 2400 sq ft. of living space (24 X 48 )-- which was enough room to raise 4 kids .......

I luv herfrds":2fvebluq said:
Husband and I have been talking about building a house. We have never built one before.
Just wondering if anybody else has built a house and would you do it again?

Would it be easier to just get a modular house? Unfortunately the ones I have seen just do not look that well built and I am concerned about our winds.

We have always wanted to live in a log home, not like the ones in the magazines too expensive.

Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

You know, there are some NICE mods out there. My H used to build them. They have all the ammenities as site built homes. I would live in one in a heartbeat. He builds mobiles now.

My sister and BIL live in a log home. It has not aged very well, but it is very nice. It has three bedrooms, a loft and a HUGE fireplace. I like it a lot. Check for insurance rates on both.

i also love log houses. lived in one when i was just a baby. wish everyday we still had it.

we now have a modular. i like it, its one of the nice ones. not the trailer kind, but a for real nice one. holds up well to the nebraskan winds. doesnt shake or rattle or nothing. you can pretty much almost get them custom made.

Looked at the Bonnaville modular. Liked the Jacksonville-IRC. Neighbor has one they bought from Canada. It is a really well built house.

Log homes nowadays can get a sealer put on both the exterior and interior. There are different brands that have different times in which they need to be treated. Normally every 2-4 years.
We have talked about a 3/4 wrap around porch to protect the exterior. That last wall will be south facing to allow for sunlight.
The cost of the logs have already gone up 5% in cost. Tried to convince husband to build now while the interest rate is down, no luck.

His parents bought a double wide trailer back in the 80's. It is hot as an oven in the summer and could not keep warm in the winter.

Thanks for the info I will check out the insurance rate.

The banker I talked to didn't indicate that there would be a problem getting fiancing for the log house. He knew it was logs and I even drew him the floor plan we agreed upon.

My H built mods for Oak Creek. They shipped to five states, but Montana was not one of them. Not to say there arent other Oak Creek Plants. They used to be big but not so much now.

You should go look at the mods.

My sister and her H built their own log home. They even stripped the bark off the logs. The logs had notches cut into them, that was all. There's a place in Rendon builds log homes. Steve was trying to get them go buy cedar furniture from him. He did furnish one home. It was nice. Then I made him get a real job. :shock: Building rustic furniture was too hit and miss.

I luv herfrds":1nxvn8mx said:
His parents bought a double wide trailer back in the 80's. It is hot as an oven in the summer and could not keep warm in the winter.
theres a difference between trailers and modulars.

I built mine. Now I have one more to build.

Nothing I see built satisfies me. Window bucks and door headers have to be built with 2 by 12's, and a cripple underneath. There has to be wind bracing. etc etc. Framers don't even know how to do that these days. So I have to do it myself.

I hire the tape and bedding. I hire the central air installation. I hire the carpet and floor laying. I hire the cabinet makers. Everything else, I do. Literally.

backhoeboogie":1twgou67 said:

Nothing I see built satisfies me. Window bucks and door headers have to be built with 2 by 12's, and a cripple underneath. There has to be wind bracing. etc etc. Framers don't even know how to do that these days. So I have to do it myself.

I hire the tape and bedding. I hire the central air installation. I hire the carpet and floor laying. I hire the cabinet makers. Everything else, I do. Literally.

How long does it take you to build a house?

cattleluvr18":3ec7d5q7 said:
I luv herfrds":3ec7d5q7 said:
theres a difference between trailers and modulars.

Modular homes are built to different Federal standards than mobiles. The mobile home business is one of the most heavily regulated businesses in this country. There are very exacting guidelines since about 1993 (?) that really changed their construction. That being said, they are not always the best choice depending on climate, humidity...

Clayton has their dealer show coming up near TMS and I won't miss it. There are some totally lovely mods and mobiles at that show. And they are all decorated with great stuff. I have already picked out the one I want.

That being said, I live in a typical brick and mortar home.

Just remember when building a house now that energy efficiency will play a big part in the future value of a home and the future of your bank account.

Home buyers now are being very critical of homes as opposed to just a few years ago because of rising energy costs.

Frankie":347k60qb said:
backhoeboogie":347k60qb said:

How long does it take you to build a house?

The last one took almost three years going at it part time. One month go get it out of the weather, then I could relax. I could have done it quicker.

This next one will be done in a year's time. I will hire some more things like insulation, electrical etc.

Frankie Wrote:
"How long does it take you to build a house?"

There are a LOT of variables. In the 1970's I built 5 houses in SW Kansas, one for me and 4 others to sell. That aside, some of issues are:
  • 1. Inside city limits vs. in the county/country area.
    2. Custom design vs. "basic ranch style design".
    3. Choice of building materials and local availability of same.
    4. Availability of workers.
    5. Weather related construction issues.
    6. Scheduling and "show up" of sub-contractors.
    7. Interior finish options.

That said, given all ducks in a row, a "basic" one-level Ranch Style House of say 1,800 sq. ft. can be built start to finish in 60-90 days.

Things that will seriously delay and extend construction:

• 1. Designer roof or siding materials and/or design.
    2. Custom vs. off-the-shelf cabinets.
    3. Special order materials.
    4. City permits, inspections vs. "Country/County" construction.
    5. Waiting on sub-contractors to show up and do their jobs.
    6. Design, specification changes during work in progress.
    7. Drywall & finish interior vs. using Paneling.
    8. Excessive number of windows (more framing issues).
    9. Job site logistics: construction site access, distance.
    10. Unnecessary "designer" exteriors, gables, arches, etc.
    11. Excessive roof angles vs. basic "one roof angle".
    12. Custom floors: Tiles, parquet wood flooring, etc.
    13. Custom bathrooms: Ceramic tile, etc.
    14. Letting Architect "design" and "specifiy" materials (he/she doesn't have to find, buy, get people to build with them).

JMO and actual construction experiences...

Jogeephus":3rtfn28z said:
One of the problems with a log home is you cannot get conventional financing through many banks. This can cost you dearly.

We have sold several log homes and cabins in Northern Pa and everyone of them was conventional financed. Must be different regs in Georgia.

Latest posts