Buffalo

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I am interested in raising buffalo in arizona. Can anybody tell me their experiences (pros & cons) to further my research. Can they really jump a 6ft fence ? Health issues etc..Thanks

[email protected]

Check into your marketing options, too, before you invest in buffalo.

> I am interested in raising buffalo
> in arizona. Can anybody tell me
> their experiences (pros &
> cons) to further my research. Can
> they really jump a 6ft fence ?
> Health issues etc..Thanks

You know, every year for several years now I have thought, this thing as got to slow down. But we were at an Angus consignment sale last weekend in east Texas and I was so pleased at the prices people were willing to pay for good genetics. Wish we had twice as many bulls this year to sell as we had. Our yearling open heifers sold so fast that maybe we should have priced them higher. Black may be a fad, but I think good Angus will be in demand for a loooong time.

I don't know if the can jump it, but they can walk through most fences. A friedn of mine had some buffalo and discovered the hard way that you can herd them any where THEY want to go

dun

> Health issues etc..Thanks

If you are doing so well selling Angus and could sell so many more, then I would suggest that you invest in more Angus, after all there are lots and lots for sale, including many dispersions.

I regularly drive by a herd of buffalo. They are confined with a five foot high tensile fence. They always seem to be in their pen when I go by...

One time, I saw a man, presumably the owner, standing next to one that had it's head poked through the fence, eating that greener grass on the other side. The man was kicking it in the head just as hard as he could. That animal didn't even blink, just kept chewing.

I'm not advocating kicking animals in the head, but I sure like the fact that IF I did kick a cow in the head, she wouldn't be standing there for the next one.

> Health issues etc..Thanks Bison are nothing like cattle. The fences have to be at least 5 ft high and high tensile. If electric fence is used high voltage fence is needed. All the chutes and corrals have to be built at least 10 ft high and soild so no day light get through the coral or chute fences. If they see daylight they will go through the corral fence and be in the next county until winter. Any squeezes need to built out of railway iron and a crash gate is a must or you won't have squeeze anymore. Bison cows on average only have a calf every other year. They are very suseptable to brucellosis and other diseases. Just keep in mind they are wild animals and if running a game farm suits you, look into them. Otherwise stay away.

Mark

[email protected]

Latest posts