Buelingo as commercial cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

OakCreekRanch

Reaction score
I saw some registered buelingo cows for sale a little while ago. They were super nice animals. Almost tempted to purchasing them but I was unsure if they can work in my operation because of a white stripe on the cows. Whats the pro/con on the buelingo cattle?

I ended up buying a set of Buelingo Heifers at a feeder sale several years ago. I wasn't planning on doing anything with them other than stocker them and feed them out. I bought them because they were a really nice even set of heifers, and they brought about $20 less/cwt. than the blacks. They did so well as stockers that I ended up sticking an Angus bull in with the group and got them bred. I still have some of them left in the cowherd, so all in all they are pretty good cattle.

Pros- Depending on your area can usually be purchased fairly reasonable, because of the belt (best for people who direct market)
-Similar body style to Angus
-Good converters on pasture

Cons- Can get beat up pretty bad at the sale barn with belted calves, if you plan on selling them commercial.
-I had a few who were a little loopy, almost to ridge runner status (most were perfectly fine though).

All in all if the price was right I wouldn't hesitate to buy another set, but you need to have an outlet for them.

That's why I am asking because the buelingo cows I saw have similar phenotype to most angus cattle but they have super nice udders I ever seen!

Latest posts