Bud Box

Help Support CattleToday:

Brute 23":qor0qr6y said:
Cattle that are super tame are always harder to work IMO, no matter the breed, because its hard to get them moving and you hate to get rough with them. No matter what kind of facilities you have, if they don't want to move its a pia.

I got rid of one bull because he was a handful when you tried to work him. Now my bulls are soooo tame you can't hardly move them. I have to literally walk them with feed buckets in to the trailer or have cows they can follow. Its just as much of a pain as the the flighty bull was.

The ideal situation is the cattle get use to what ever facility you have and just go because they are use to it. I bet 60% or better of our cattle just start taking off down the chutes no matter if its a sweep or bud box. That's my favorite way. :cowboy: I was watching a Temple Grandin video where she talked about not letting the cattle just bust out the end of the chute and take off at a run. A lot of our places do not have the facilities to hold all the cattle that have been worked after so you are turning them back out in the pasture when you are done. I started throwing a handful or two of cubes on the ground before I open the chute and I think its really helping. One, it puts other cows "at the end of the tunnel" so it helps keep the ones in the pens heading that way, two, its kind of a treat for a job well done. A lot of the cattle have started just hanging out close to the pens after they are done, laying around. IMO, thats a good sign.

I have that problem with my cows, they are very hard to move from one yard to the next by myself or even with my wife but fortunately my dog Jed is waiting just outside the yards for my signal and then they all move. I rarely let Jed get at them but once he is there the cows know and they move on. It is much better than me flogging them.

My bulls are the same and I think it is much safer for me to have the dogs there and the bulls moving freely than for me to have a confrontation with a bull that someday he might just decide he is a lot bigger than me.

Ken

Way before I ever heard of or saw a design for a Bud Box I built a pen to load my sweep. Turned out it was a 12x30 Bud Box. It sure worked good. So I guess I had both. And liked both of them.

Dave":8myoxbtp said:
Way before I ever heard of or saw a design for a Bud Box I built a pen to load my sweep. Turned out it was a 12x30 Bud Box. It sure worked good. So I guess I had both. And liked both of them.
Exactly , incorporate different ideas , to fit your needs , herd. Everyone has different specifics, from breed , to the way they are handled, to the number of head, or experience . If you are on foot , 12 ft is the maximum width for moving cattle , well documented .

You will not be happy with a Bud Box unless you understand how to work cattle correctly. Google Bud Williams.

Are there any reference sites that show overhead drawings?

I need to build a system and I'm reading all the reference material I can, including threads like this.

TennesseeTuxedo":pzzgfzho said:
ZachinCO":pzzgfzho said:

I need to build a system and I'm reading all the reference material I can, including threads like this.

As stated above, Google is your friend. Lots of good videos on YouTube.
Been finding some better ones, just have to know how to feed the google machine properly.

ZachinCO":29n7dtl6 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":29n7dtl6 said:
ZachinCO":29n7dtl6 said:

As stated above, Google is your friend. Lots of good videos on YouTube.
Been finding some better ones, just have to know how to feed the google machine properly.

The key is to keep the wording simple. Dont over think it or try to fancy it up. Start generic and then get more specific.

Latest posts