Bucking Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
Yesterday at the tire shop I started a conversation with a young lady after all any one 65 years or younger is a young lady to me. She had on boots jeans a pearl snap shirt and a large belt buckle and her hair in a plaited braid she did herself because it was to one side. I first asked if she had horses. She said no. I went and set down to wait and she came and set beside me and told me she and her husband raised bucking bulls. She proceeded to show my photos on her phone of their bulls in action. She said that they have bucking bull completions that you enter. No riders but a weight attached to the bull in place of the rider. After 8 seconds the eight will detach from the bull and fall off. The bulls are judged and given points and the one with the most points would be the winner and win a portion of the jack pot. Interesting conversation. Any one into bucking bulls on cattle today.

Back when I was riding in rodeos I traveled some with a guy who won a world championship riding bulls and the NFR two times. I always wondered who was the first idiot to start bull riding? Broncs I understand. You ride horses. Sometimes they buck. Some horses always buck and some cowboys are good at riding those buckers. But bulls? Why?

Dave said:
Back when I was riding in rodeos I traveled some with a guy who won a world championship riding bulls and the NFR two times. I always wondered who was the first idiot to start bull riding? Broncs I understand. You ride horses. Sometimes they buck. Some horses always buck and some cowboys are good at riding those buckers. But bulls? Why?

Probably started out "hold my beer and watch this"

I let my son dip his toe into raising them. We had 2 born here. One was nothing, but I actually bred several heifers to him. Would give anything if I had kept him a couple of more years just to use on heifers. One was decent I guess. About middle of the road for what I see at IPRA rodeos and open rodeos. I've been trying to remember what bull we ordered semen from, and can't think of his name. I think I had a thread going about it at the time.

Bigfoot said:
I let my son dip his toe into raising them. We had 2 born here. One was nothing, but I actually bred several heifers to him. Would give anything if I had kept him a couple of more years just to use on heifers. One was decent I guess. About middle of the road for what I see at IPRA rodeos and open rodeos. I've been trying to remember what bull we ordered semen from, and can't think of his name. I think I had a thread going about it at the time.
Yeah you did. Maybe someone who's good at find old threads here could dig it up

Dave said:
I always wondered who was the first idiot to start bull riding?

I've always wondered about the second one to do it. The first guy may not have understood what was coming, but that second one has no excuse

We have a guy here at work that raises them also. Its been very interesting to learn the ins and outs. There is a lot more to it than I realized. They have their own chutes and every thing where they invite guys to come and buck their bulls and stuff.

jschoolcraft86 said:
Dave said:

I've always wondered about the second one to do it. The first guy may not have understood what was coming, but that second one has no excuse
Could be the second one thought he could do it better ...there always those types..

40-50 years ago it was really a geographic thing. Go to the Dakotas, Wyoming, Montana, or Alberta and you found lots of broncs and bronc riders. Some bull riders tossed in but a lot more of bronc riders. The winter of '72 another bronc rider and I went to Texas thinking we could go to a bunch of small rodeos and clean up. Trouble was there wouldn't be enough cowboys entered in the bronc or bareback riding to cover our expenses. But over turn a rock and two bull riders came out.

Had a friend that worked at the stockyard and contracted bucking Bulls on weekends ...he'd buy bulls through the sale during the week, take em home and buck em out..kept the buckers, and rerun the others...worked for him..don't know his deal with the barn owner...but probably averaged out..

jschoolcraft86 said:
Dave said:

I still want to know who figured out pulling a cow's tail up would stop them from kicking.

Dave said:
If you got to ask you wont understand.
I will say there is nothing else like it in the world that I know about.
People ask what it is like and I say coming up on rodeo time you look forward to it.
Close to your turn to get on the beast you feel the fear. Some call it nerves. I call it fear.
As soon as the gate opens the fear is gone and there is a surreal feeling of aloneness.
It is like being in another world.
As soon as you buck off, get off, or whatever all you think about is that you want to do it again.

Bull riders are not neccsarily idiots. :mad:
Crazy, yes. :?

Ryder said:
Dave said:
If you got to ask you wont understand.
I will say there is nothing else like it in the world that I know about.
People ask what it is like and I say coming up on rodeo time you look forward to it.
Close to your turn to get on the beast you feel the fear. Some call it nerves. I call it fear.
As soon as the gate opens the fear is gone and there is a surreal feeling of aloneness.
It is like being in another world.
As soon as you buck off, get off, or whatever all you think about is that you want to do it again.

Bull riders are not neccsarily idiots. :mad:
Crazy, yes. :?

I'd agree with you rode from 6 years old till last ride at 16. Got drug around area for awhile, dad and buddy his finally got me off. Shoulder still feels the pain today! I always think back on it. Crawling up the chute you can hear the crowd, once you nod your head you only hear the sound of the bull till the whistle blows.

https://www.facebook.com/BroncRidingNation/photos/a.208621985847769/2340979009278712?type=3&sfns=mo. Some are good at riding..but those dismounts...

Latest posts