Bucket List

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":f48zthq9 said:
VanC":f48zthq9 said:
There are many things I'd like to do before the clock runs out, but two things came to mind right away. One, I'd like to see a ball game in every major league park during the course of one season. Two, I'd like to see all four of the Iowa class battleships. I've been fascinated with them since I was a kid.
How many of the 4 that were built are still around?

All four, but none have been active since 1991. The Iowa is with the Naval Reserve Fleet at Suisun Bay near San Francisco. It's the only one that hasn't been made into a museum yet. The New Jersey is in Camden, NJ, the Wisconsin is in Norfolk, VA, and the Missouri is at Pearl Harbor. Work on two more was begun towards the end of WWII, the Illinois and the Kentucky, but work was stopped when the war ended. By that time the aircraft carrier had become the Navy's main battle weapon, so no more battleships were ever built. The end of an era. After the bow of the Wisconsin was severely damaged in a collision with a destroyer in 1956 they grafted the bow of the uncompleted Kentucky onto the Wisconsin. The rest of the Illinois and Kentucky were eventually sold for scrap.

Here's the only known picture of all four steaming together, taken in 1954. Left to right: New Jersey, Missouri, Wisconsin, Iowa.

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/imag ... 638938.jpg

VanC":2owx8b9n said:
dun":2owx8b9n said:
VanC":2owx8b9n said:
There are many things I'd like to do before the clock runs out, but two things came to mind right away. One, I'd like to see a ball game in every major league park during the course of one season. Two, I'd like to see all four of the Iowa class battleships. I've been fascinated with them since I was a kid.
How many of the 4 that were built are still around?

All four, but none have been active since 1991. The Iowa is with the Naval Reserve Fleet at Suisun Bay near San Francisco. It's the only one that hasn't been made into a museum yet. The New Jersey is in Camden, NJ, the Wisconsin is in Norfolk, VA, and the Missouri is at Pearl Harbor. Work on two more was begun towards the end of WWII, the Illinois and the Kentucky, but work was stopped when the war ended. By that time the aircraft carrier had become the Navy's main battle weapon, so no more battleships were ever built. The end of an era. After the bow of the Wisconsin was severely damaged in a collision with a destroyer in 1956 they grafted the bow of the uncompleted Kentucky onto the Wisconsin. The rest of the Illinois and Kentucky were eventually sold for scrap.

Here's the only known picture of all four steaming together, taken in 1954. Left to right: New Jersey, Missouri, Wisconsin, Iowa.

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/imag ... 638938.jpg
I was just curious. I knew thee Missouri was in Pearl becasue I saw her being pulled out of Bremerton, just wasn;t sure about the others. I'v been on the Jersey while she was on active duty in Nam and I spent a good bit of time on the MO in Bremerton. Never saw the others.

The time I had to look fate in the face was before my kids graduated high school. To my surprise I didn't think about what I wanted to do. Instead, I was consumed with guilt that I was abandoning my family and wouldn't be there to help them through life. That was all I could think about and so set about doing everything I could think of to prepare stuff for their life without me. 24/7 for about 6 weeks I was so busy I only slept a couple hours a night. I don't know where all that energy came from. But after 6 weeks of testing the doctor said "woops, false alarm". Boy was I mad.

I can't think of the name of the song, but I alway smile when I hear the lyric

"I went sky... diving
I went Rocky Mountain climbing
I went 2.7 seconds on a bull named Fu Man Chu"

dcara":3h14ehl4 said:
The time I had to look fate in the face was before my kids graduated high school. To my surprise I didn't think about what I wanted to do. Instead, I was consumed with guilt that I was abandoning my family and wouldn't be there to help them through life. That was all I could think about and so set about doing everything I could think of to prepare stuff for their life without me. 24/7 for about 6 weeks I was so busy I only slept a couple hours a night. I don't know where all that energy came from. But after 6 weeks of testing the doctor said "woops, false alarm". Boy was I mad.

I can't think of the name of the song, but I alway smile when I hear the lyric

"I went sky... diving
I went Rocky Mountain climbing
I went 2.7 seconds on a bull named Fu Man Chu"
Live like you were dying Tim McGraw

Make love like you are going to die tomorrow, work like you are going to live forever!

Latest posts