BSE Web site

Help Support CattleToday:

Larry Sansom":sco0hs2o said:
One man's experience with USDA and trying to get a cow tested for Mad Cow- Better go and read this!!
http://www.davelouthan.org

What a bunch of $hit that is, this guy is a disgrace to the cattle industry. And you are a disgrace for posting this crap, I can't believe you call yourself a cattlemen. This guy should be taken to a tall tree with and hung with a short rope, this is the kind of ******** that PETA freaks take and run with. I don't deny BSE exists and I'm all for nonbiased articles but this is pure unadulterated crap. Please everybody don't waste time reading these lies. This is just a grass fed hippy rancher trying to smear the main stream cattle industry for his benefit.

Now I got to go read it. Why did you do that to me BP.

Blackpower , For once and maybe the last time I agree completely. Larry you should be ashamed.

Larry,
Your post of that garbage undermines the credibility of grass fed farmers. Walking around with a belly full of prions, indeed.

I listened to this clown on the radio a while back. The sh** he was putting out on there made the website look tame. The host was acting like this guy was a hero. As I recall,he was a new employee at the packer. He also sounded like he had an I.Q. well below average. Oh, he also admitted he still eats beef that he buys at the grocery store. What an A-hole.

ollie":29hlnrfv said:
Blackpower , For once and maybe the last time I agree completely. Larry you should be ashamed.
Absolutely NOT ashamed - This stuff is out there and we can put our head up our rears and think it will go away - but it wont. Do I agree with this guy -NO! But the post was for your info so we all know what we are facing and what is being promoted by many people.
We DO have a problem with Testing time as anyone who is selling beef under USDA regs knows. That must be fixed or we will be looking at a real wreck when we find the next positive. Also the man's comments on this subject will be getting more press than anyone on this site will be, unless we start putting out correct info and fixing some of the problems at USDA. His comments on the futures mkt going nuts was also right. The prions comments issue is way out there in left field!
For you hair trigger commenters above who shoot off your mouth before you think- I just hope CBS does not interview You when the next health issue on cattle comes on TV. They do not check anything for truth as we have seen on "Rather-gate" and they would like nothing better than to put some foaming at the mouth idiot on TV.

BLACKPOWER":2ri0zrm2 said:
Larry Sansom":2ri0zrm2 said:
ollie":2ri0zrm2 said:
Absolutely NOT ashamed - This stuff is out there and we can put our head up our rears and think it will go away - but it wont. Do I agree with this guy -NO! But the post was for your info so we all know what we are facing and what is being promoted by many people.
We DO have a problem with Testing time as anyone who is selling beef under USDA regs knows. That must be fixed or we will be looking at a real wreck when we find the next positive. Also the man's comments on this subject will be getting more press than anyone on this site will be, unless we start putting out correct info and fixing some of the problems at USDA. His comments on the futures mkt going nuts was also right. The prions comments issue is way out there in left field!
For you hair trigger commenters above who shoot off your mouth before you think- I just hope CBS does not interview You when the next health issue on cattle comes on TV. They do not check anything for truth as we have seen on "Rather-gate" and they would like nothing better than to put some foaming at the mouth idiot on TV.

Everyone knows this $hit is out there, you sure didn't post it indicating that you disagreed with any of it. For one any self respecting rancher doesn't use the term Mad Cow. BSE is the correct term. start using it, I don't expect Dumass Dave to but he's an idiot. Get this straight boy, I'm no foaming at the mouth idiot but when you post this $hit your doing exactly what this man want's you to do, spreading his word. If you are using this man's word about what the USDA is doing then you are as ignorant as he is.
No I am not using his word - I deal with USDA myself as I direct market beef - and the problem is larger than you and your little mind wants to accept. organophospates for fly control will probably be found to have as much cause in our beef BSE/Mad Cow/or Cronic Wasting as found in the deer/ or Scrappie in Sheep. Would suggest you start reading something other than your own post. If we sit around and wait for the gov. to fix the problem- just look at the mess our brothers north of the border are in. They waited, let their gov keep allowing feeding of known problems in feed, now many ranchers are bankrupt. Keep uninformed and non active - You will follow their steps. Many things he said are fact - some are not. If you are half as smart as you think you are - you can figure out the differences!

Good grief.. what a bunch of crap. Interesting that he wants us all to help him get on network TV, AND did you notice the spot where you could donate $$ to help his finance his traveling expenses? I'm thinking he's got a plan to be a celebrity.. well, 15 minutes of fame anyway.

And now half the US population, the ones that ate those hamburgers, are all going to get Mad Cow disease. :roll:

Larry Sansom":1a1966pq said:
BLACKPOWER":1a1966pq said:
Larry Sansom":1a1966pq said:
ollie":1a1966pq said:

Everyone knows this $hit is out there, you sure didn't post it indicating that you disagreed with any of it. For one any self respecting rancher doesn't use the term Mad Cow. BSE is the correct term. start using it, I don't expect Dumass Dave to but he's an idiot. Get this straight boy, I'm no foaming at the mouth idiot but when you post this $hit your doing exactly what this man want's you to do, spreading his word. If you are using this man's word about what the USDA is doing then you are as ignorant as he is.
No I am not using his word - I deal with USDA myself as I direct market beef - and the problem is larger than you and your little mind wants to accept. organophospates for fly control will probably be found to have as much cause in our beef BSE/Mad Cow/or Cronic Wasting as found in the deer/ or Scrappie in Sheep. Would suggest you start reading something other than your own post. If we sit around and wait for the gov. to fix the problem- just look at the mess our brothers north of the border are in. They waited, let their gov keep allowing feeding of known problems in feed, now many ranchers are bankrupt. Keep uninformed and non active - You will follow their steps. Many things he said are fact - some are not. If you are half as smart as you think you are - you can figure out the differences!

There isn't one speck of fact in that whole letter. Uninformed? I think not. If that's where you become informed then the best thing you can do is shut your goddamn mouth. You and your conspiracy theories can go to hell. Hardly anyone on this board respects me but I doubt anyone questions my passion on BSE issues. Like I said you are trying to push your grass fed hippy beef cattle by smearing the main stream cattle industry, YOU are no better than this guy.

Black Power wrote:

There isn't one speck of fact in that whole letter.

And you would know this how? This sounds like exactly the kind of tripe that you have been spouting off about on our Canadian cattle. I'm sure that if this guy was talking about Canadian beef that you would be right in there agreeing with him. You are such a hypocrite. If you think that there is no BSE in the US, you must be blind. You guys are just better at hiding it. You imported as many cattle from the UK as we ever did. But you've seen what our reward was for trying to deal with the issue in an open an honest manner, so you have decided that shoot,shovel and shut up is the best way to go. good luck.

Cattle Rack. Again I will have to defend Black power. What proof do you have that anyone in the U. S. in your words shoots shovels and shuts up. It dosn't help your cause for you to say you tried to handle it in an open maner, insuinating that the U.S. didn't. Lest you forget they were both your cows, same feed mill remember.I am sure not saying that the U.S. dosn't have another case of bse. What I will say is that it seems to me that the U.S. government has done as good of a job as possible to be open and honest about the cow that had it and the subsequent false positives as possible, and for you to say otherwise is insulting.

ollie:

Somewhere in these posts or on Ranchers.net there was a full article of how improper testing has been done on over 500 suspect mad cow samples by the USDA. It also mentions that incidents such as the Texas cow were more commonplace then most people know. I saw it, its there, but I'm not going to spend alot of time looking for it. As far as the cows, both were under American ownership when they BSE was discovered. I'm not a conspiracy theorist but it has many in Canada wondering about how that happened. Possibly a coincidence, who knows. I also can't blame the US if they do adopt a shoot, shovel and shut up approach. Finding a case of BSE can be devastating to the industry. Just ask any Canadian producers who've watched a lifetime worth of hard work reduced to pennies on the dollar over essentially nothing. My point with BP is that this is exactly what he has been saying about Canadian cattle up until this point. Good luck to you.

Here it is ollie:

from August 12/04

Legal/Regulatory News
News report claims USDA botched BSE tests for hundreds of animals

by Brendan O'Neill on 8/12/04 for Meatingplace.com

During the past two years, nearly 500 suspect cows — including some of those considered high-risk — either were not tested for bovine spongiform encephalopathy or had the wrong part of the brain collected by Agriculture Department officials, according to a report by United Press International.

USDA records, obtained by UPI under the Freedom of Information Act, suggest that some of the untested animals were counted under the agency's tally of BSE tests.

"None of those [untested animals or ones with the wrong portion of the brain collected] were counted in official sampling," USDA spokeswoman Julie Quick told UPI.

According to the USDA documents, 486 animals were not tested or had the wrong portion of their brain collected in 2002 and 2003, and more than 200 of the animals were not tested at all.

Most of the remaining animals had the wrong part of their brain sent to USDA's National Veterinary Services Laboratories in Ames, Iowa, with a few samples unsuitable to be tested, according to UPI.

In a report made public last month, USDA Inspector General Phyllis K. Fong criticized the agency's surveillance program and said a better system could have reduced the chances of finding BSE in that United States. (See USDA officials acknowledge flaws in BSE surveillance, Meatingplace.com, July 15, 2004.)

"This adds to the clear documentation in the Inspector General's report that the program is in shambles, from its design to its implementation to its record keeping," Dr. Peter Lurie, deputy director of Public Citizen's Health Research Group in Washington, D.C., told UPI. "Somebody must be asleep at the switch if they can get this kind of data in their database and not launch some kind of investigation. It suggests inappropriate collection of samples and failure to test even those samples that were collected, on top of the failure to test categories of animals USDA told the American public it was testing."

Cattle Rack Rancher":pj9x0og9 said:
During the past two years, nearly 500 suspect cows — including some of those considered high-risk — either were not tested for bovine spongiform encephalopathy or had the wrong part of the brain collected by Agriculture Department officials, according to a report by United Press International."
In my opinion 500 isn't very many considering how many cows they test. I would also assume nonambulitory animals are what they are refering to as high risk. Surely you dont think they're odds of catching bse in the livestock population went down very much by missing 500 down cows.
While I am not trying to say you believe the conspiracy theory it seems silly to say that because the were American owned at one point in their life that we would ruin your market for livestock by finding one of your cows on our side of the border that tested positive. I suspose we fed the other cow mbm that was contaminated and sent her to your side hoping you would find her and then ruin your market this way. I know you guys are in bad shape and I sympathize, however I don't think it is a conspiracy.

All it would take is a few zealots. R-CALF seems to have more than its share of them. If you like, I could lay down the evidence for you from the Canadian view on the BSE, R-Calf, NCBA page.

Cattle Rack Rancher":1gwsndkc said:
If you like, I could lay down the evidence for you from the Canadian view on the BSE, R-Calf, NCBA page.
I wouldn't mind seeing this "evidence," CR. But please make sure its real "evidence." I just think you guys need to keep in mind that when you start that conspiracy theory c.rap, it lowers the credibility of all the legitimate arguments that you have.

Also, while I'm sorry for his choice of language and lack of diplomacy in getting his point across, I agree with BP and understand his anger. As far as I'm concerned, the original post with the hot link should be deleted. Let PETA put it on their website. We don't need people seeing it here and thinking that we give it any credibility.

Anyway, how does a former packing plant worker end up getting his own .org site? Most certainly someone helped him set it up and pay for it. Did you ever think about that, Larry? He sure as Hell ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer. Seems to me like a little PETA in the woodpile.

And Ollie's right. Larry, you should be ashamed. You're a disgrace! You post that garbage link and name your topic like it was a legitimate site people could go to for BSE info. If I had my way, that would be three strikes for you right there!

I posted it on the other page. I admit the 'evidence' is pretty thin. But if this is some kind of divine intervention to the benefit of R-CALF, I want to know what we as producers in Canada have done to bring down the wrath of God on us.

Cattle Rack Rancher":1wqtxynv said:
.....I want to know what we as producers in Canada have done to bring down the wrath of God on us.
CR, I'd come nearer believing in an inexplicable wrath of God theory than the R-CALF was smart enough to pull it off theory. ;-)

In any respect, I think all of you know my feelings on the deal. Sorry there's nothing I can do to change it for you.......

Latest posts