BSE Web site

Help Support CattleToday:

i, too, have a hard time believing a real cattleman would post a link to such a site and worse yet, give it any sort of credibility.

I have to agree that that dave louthan wesbsite is a crack pot radical one-- you have to wonder what he's trying to get, fame fortune , whatever...
But one thing all these posts show is that BSE is still a disease that is not well understood even in the scientific community-- Many many theories out there about origin, transmission - some as credible as the others--- We definitely need much more research.

I always have to laugh when someone uses a "sound science" argument. Who's sound science are we talking about? US, Japans, Europes-- Each country and each organization have scientists that say differing things... Many scientific studies are flawed and biased by the organization or government funding them.

I always wonder if 10 years from now, we'll look back at all the theories and "sound science" and wonder how we could have made such mistakes.. Hopefully not.

Remember it was only 10 years ago that Hantavirus was "discovered"--Since it was found and so prevalent in the New Mexico area many believed the theory that it was because of a mutant virus that had been carried by a mouse that escaped from a New Mexico laboratory-- Research found that the virus is found worldwide, has actually been around for thousands of years, and altho rare had probably migrated from Asia to North America with the Native Americans. Many people had died from it before the virus was discovered.

100 years ago oral doses of radium were prescribed by doctors as a cure for arthritis-- Until patients limbs started falling off....

Hopefully we can keep the politics and big business bucks from influencing the scientific community and a complete understanding of BSE can be proven..

One thing to remember about science , all the theories they have ever had scientificaly except the current one have all been proven false.

txag":3fipzesc said:
i, too, have a hard time believing a real cattleman would post a link to such a site and worse yet, give it any sort of credibility.

txag
I have to agree with you and Campgrounds previous post.
This is nothing but PETA garbage.
It is hard to believe that any real cattleman would put this kind of garbage in the hands of others, especially posted on a cattle message board. :mad: :mad:

I agre this is abunch of crap. it is amazing that tha usda can track 1 cow with bse and all of her off spring. but they can't find 1.2 million illegal aliens that needs to be shipped back to where they belong ,to protect the americans workers. have you noticed this cow came from canada, are they under the same feed restrictions as the usa ? bse is caused by feeding render animal sraps and bones (bone mill).our checker board bubbies (the european owned ralston purina)was notorious for this cheap type of protien a few years ago,but it was outlawed by the usda a few years ago. but who is regulating the feed ? ralston purina filled bankrupcy a few years ago to bail out on their creditors,on their hog operations that out to bad investments. the whole point of this , that nobody said anything about the feed fed to these animals,or whos feed was it i'm more concerned about the feed being fed than i am the animals. maybe we should have more feed inspections. its amazing that the canadians can buy our holstein calves feed and raise them cheaper than we can, then turn and sell them back to us,and come back testing positive for bse . lets start checking feed records.

have you noticed this cow came from canada, are they under the same feed restrictions as the usa ?

Yes actually Canadian feed restrictions went into effect 8 years ago.
its amazing that the canadians can buy our holstein calves feed and raise them cheaper than we can, then turn and sell them back to us,and come back testing positive for bse .

What calves are you talking about that have BSE?

dm":3hbobxrc said:
its amazing that the canadians can buy our holstein calves feed and raise them cheaper than we can, then turn and sell them back to us,and come back testing positive for bse .

Talk about false information posted on here.

This is exactly the way rumors start.

dm":3a8h7odc said:
bse is caused by feeding render animal sraps and bones (bone mill)
You mean BSE is believed to be caused by feeding ruminant derived MBM. Like at one time, the earth was believed to be flat!

dm":3a8h7odc said:
lets start checking feed records.
You're behind, dm. We've been doing that. Maybe you'd like a bigger, better bureaucracy to take it over? How much money do you want to throw at it?

canadians , according to the usda ,this cow was born in the usa . bought as a calf raised in canada and return back to the usa as cow. i'm not blaming the canadians' i'm not blaming anybody.i'm saying that noboby has ever said who's feed they were feeding. eastern texas if bonemill is so great go to europe and try to buy it. why did the spanish stop semi-loads of bonemill at their borders. if there is any doubt about bonemill having caused the transmission of bse . it would be better to spend a few pennies on other types of feed as too take 1.06 fats down to .70's in afew days. ask the canadians about their cull cow prices. so we don't need any feed regulations ,thats good .but remember bankrobbing is illegal or i think it is, but who needs goverment regulations,or law enforcement. my cattle is my livelyhood and i think anything that can be done to protect our assets should be look at .

dm":212bfp0o said:
eastern texas if bonemill is so great go to europe and try to buy it.
I guess I fail to see your point. I never said bonemeal was so great. Anyway, I don't run my business to suit 'em in Europe!

dm":212bfp0o said:
so we don't need any feed regulations ,thats good .but remember bankrobbing is illegal or i think it is, but who needs goverment regulations,or law enforcement.
We've got feed regulations. How many more do you want? Sure, bankrobbing's against the law. But we don't stick the FBI in every bank, do we? What do you want to do that's not already being done?

[/quote] organophospates for fly control will probably be found to have as much cause in our beef BSE/Mad Cow/or Cronic Wasting as found in the deer/ or Scrappie in Sheep [/quote]This statement is the most moronic post that I can remember in some time. How much organophosphate has been used on the North American Deer Population. Your a dandy Larry.

D.m...........according to the usda ,this cow was born in the usa . bought as a calf raised in canada and return back to the usa as cow

Where did you read this!

Latest posts