BSE, the market and some thoughts

Help Support CattleToday:

Dyann

Reaction score
This might be too simplistic but... I, like everyone else, am concerned about beef prices. The two trailer loads of cattle I was to take to the sale barn in mid-January were to pay for some things that "have" to be paid for in January. The supply/demand issue will obviously effect our prices.

So this is my thought.. 1) if the US exports 10% of it's beef, and 90% of the export market it now gone.. (soon to be 100% I would assume) 2) the people of the US dont get retarded and think they will die if they eat beef, and the domestic market looses 10% (just a number) and 3) we hold our cattle as long as we can and 4) when we take to market we reduce the number we take to market by 20% .. would that not keep the demand over the supply and therefore keep the prices somewhat above the bankruptcy line for the beef producers???

Just an observation.. noticed beef cube steak, which looked like crap was still selling at the supermarket for $4.89 a pound, with steak at $9.89 -$14.99 a pound.. so no price reductions there, as of yet. Additionally, one would think that if the super markets were concerned about that beef rotting on the shelf due to lack of consumer demand, they would lower the prices.

Any thoughts here?

As to a National ID system for cattle, I am not sure I still think that is a good idea. I dont think it will work, I think it will cost producers even more to raise beef and I dont think that the feds can keep up with it.. just another bureacracy that could cost more than it provides. Even if it worked, if another animal (after an ID system was in place) were to be located with BSE and tracked to it's origin, would the hype on the finding itself be any less? hurt any less?

maybe all the publicity made to the BSE cow is just to force cattleraisers to implemtent the Electronic ID?

Dyann":3kwrlb6v said:
This might be too simplistic but... I, like everyone else, am concerned about beef prices. The two trailer loads of cattle I was to take to the sale barn in mid-January were to pay for some things that "have" to be paid for in January. The supply/demand issue will obviously effect our prices.

So this is my thought.. 1) if the US exports 10% of it's beef, and 90% of the export market it now gone.. (soon to be 100% I would assume) 2) the people of the US dont get retarded and think they will die if they eat beef, and the domestic market looses 10% (just a number) and 3) we hold our cattle as long as we can and 4) when we take to market we reduce the number we take to market by 20% .. would that not keep the demand over the supply and therefore keep the prices somewhat above the bankruptcy line for the beef producers???

Just an observation.. noticed beef cube steak, which looked like crap was still selling at the supermarket for $4.89 a pound, with steak at $9.89 -$14.99 a pound.. so no price reductions there, as of yet. Additionally, one would think that if the super markets were concerned about that beef rotting on the shelf due to lack of consumer demand, they would lower the prices.

Any thoughts here?

As to a National ID system for cattle, I am not sure I still think that is a good idea. I dont think it will work, I think it will cost producers even more to raise beef and I dont think that the feds can keep up with it.. just another bureacracy that could cost more than it provides. Even if it worked, if another animal (after an ID system was in place) were to be located with BSE and tracked to it's origin, would the hype on the finding itself be any less? hurt any less?

I work at an Ingles branch in GA. I can't speak for anywhere else but beef consumption hasn't slacked off at all and neither have the store prices..i've only heard a few comments on BSE and all have been from people buying beef.

Latest posts