BSE TESTING

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
The USDA has announced a new program to increase the amount of tests they do on slaughtered cattle for BSE- I don't have a problem with that. This test will be a "quickie test"- that gives out some "false positive" results (somewhere I read 3 out of 1000)- Any positives will be re-examined to determine if they are false- this could take several days.

The problem I have is with the position the USDA has taken on reporting these tests- They have decided that they will publicly release the results of all positive tests before they re-exam or confirm the test. This could unnecessarily scare consumers and cause the cattle markets to bounce all over the board.

I urge everyone to contact their livestock organizations - (NCBA, R-CALF, Farm Bureau, Farmers Union, whatever) and try to put pressure on the USDA to rethink their policy.

I have no doubt that it is possible that someday another cow with BSE will be found in this country- and when confirmed the public should be the first to know- but I don't think they need to be releasing unverified "false positives."

I believe the USDA is intentionally trying to drive beef prices down. There has been too many votes bought with cheap food and fuel in this country over the years and the US Government has lost control of the latter.

We will get to see on Monday what the futures and cattle markets do- The USDA announced today that they have their first inconclusive test for BSE-- they have sent samples to their Lab in Ames, Iowa for further testing.

Confirmation will take 4-7 days according to the USDA- Glad I don't have any cattle consigned on next weeks Superior Video sale.

Oldtimer":38aqrp07 said:
.....Glad I don't have any cattle consigned on next weeks Superior Video sale.

Well Oldtimer, what about the guys that have got them consigned AGAIN, because they PO'd 'em at the last sale? Some of those guys are probably catching H.ell at the kitchen table about now. I know if I had turned down a dollar something for 8 weights, I'd be looking for a new homestead even without the BSE deal.

Texan":323rvx5e said:
Oldtimer":323rvx5e said:
.....Glad I don't have any cattle consigned on next weeks Superior Video sale.

Well Oldtimer, what about the guys that have got them consigned AGAIN, because they PO'd 'em at the last sale? Some of those guys are probably catching H.ell at the kitchen table about now. I know if I had turned down a dollar something for 8 weights, I'd be looking for a new homestead even without the BSE deal.

Reminds me of a friend of mine that had about 10 bins full of wheat (about 30,000 bushel) years ago when the price got to $8.00 a bushel- He thought he had the market figured out and decided to hold out for $10. Prices went back down through the floor. His wife never did quit reminding him of all that $10 wheat he had stored- I think he finally sold it for $3 or 4 a bushel and she is still reminding him of his wheeling and dealing to this day and probably every day.

Hopefully everything with the test will come out good and the markets won't take too big a hit.

Well I guess I will find out Monday at the sale barn if its starting to impact prices. I have just about got this cattle business figured out. Buy high and sell low.

Latest posts