BSE conspiracy or not?

Help Support CattleToday:

Cattle Rack Rancher

Reaction score
Before I get into this, I was doing a lookup on BSE and now as a result I know how to give myself A Breast Self Exam. :shock: :lol: :lol: Who knew that BSE stood for anything else but Mad Cow disease.

There has been some question as to why some Canadians feel that there might have been a bit of foul play going on as far as the BSE issue goes. I'm not looking to start a big fight (Lord knows we've had enough of those on this site). I just want to lay out the evidence and see what everyone thinks.

April 2003- Canadian Cattlemen magazine publishes an editorial on R-CALF and how they are pushing to tighten restrictions on Canadian cattle flowing into the US.

May 2003-Marwyn Peaster, a transplanted Mississippi catfish farmer loads up a cow showing obvious signs of disease and tries to have it slaughtered. He is told at no less than 3 slaughter plants that it is not fit for human consumption but keeps trying until he finds a slaughter plant that will slaughter the animal. ( What do you think. Is this an action that would be taken by a farmer in the US?)

May 20 2003- Canada announces that it has discovered a case of BSE in its herd. Borders instantly shut. Marwyn Peaster's herd is slaughtered and he is compensated in full while all other cattleman see prices plummet to record lows.

December 2003- Just as it seems the border to the US is about to open, another cow is discovered in Washington State with BSE. It is labelled as a downer and tested, although the story later comes out that the cow walked in under its own power. (This kind of begs the question why was it tested?)

And of course then we have the R-CALF threatened lawsuit this spring which was kind of the last nail in the coffin for Canadian producers.

What do you think? A masterfully planned conspiracy or just coincidence?

Marwyne claimed he simply planned to eat this cow - how many folks eat an obviously very sick animal?

The responses to this may be interesting.

Bez

Bez":12d0k5u9 said:
Marwyne claimed he simply planned to eat this cow - how many folks eat an obviously very sick animal?

The responses to this may be interesting.

Bez

You would think people would know better, but it wasn't that many years ago that a family contracted anthrax from eating one of their cows that had dropped dead. Don't remember for sure what state it was in, Michigan or Minnesota, I think.

I can see how the circumstance could lead a person to believe there is a conspiracy. But on the other hand, I don't think that the number of people that would have to be involved would be able to keep such a thing quiet for any length of time.

PETA and the Vegans however, are having a field day with all of it. They view BSE as their opportunity to turn the world to their way of thinking.

Ann B

CR, there's one big problem I see with the theory. Do you think R-CALF had access to a live animal BSE test so that they would know for sure in May, 2003 that they had a positive cow to plant? How did that happen? You think Leo has a little lab where he developed this test with member dues and contributions or was it just a lucky guess? No, that would require two lucky guesses, wouldn't it? One in Manitoba and one in Washington.

I know you're just outlining the thoughts of some of your neighbors. Awful weak, though. No, really its worse than that. I'd like to see you try to distance yourself 'cause seems to me like its grasping at nothing!

2003- What do you think? A masterfully planned conspiracy or just coincidence?[/quote said:
Come on CRR this is grasping at air castles. If your going to build one build a big one cause they all cost the same. The problem with conspiracy
theories everyone has to keep their stories straight and queit.

O.K, here I go with an opinion.... BSE and the media video's on T.V.... Did anyone notice when they filmed a "possiable downer cow" that the cow was only spooked and slipping on the wet concrete floor while trying to gather it's footing? I'm not stiring a pot, it just made me angry that the people filming can't tell the difference and it was feeding the PETA. At least that's what my brain processed. I'll admit to a margin of error ;-)

CR, there's one big problem I see with the theory. Do you think R-CALF had access to a live animal BSE test so that they would know for sure in May, 2003 that they had a positive cow to plant? How did that happen? You think Leo has a little lab where he developed this test with member dues and contributions or was it just a lucky guess? No, that would require two lucky guesses, wouldn't it? One in Manitoba and one in Washington.

Texan:
I've said that I am not a conspiracy theorist but I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a minute.
BSE infected materials are readily available in England. Do you not think that Leo would have enough money to pay the freight to get it here. Studies have shown that the best way to transfer BSE is through an injection of prions directly into the brain.

What do you think?

Cattle Rack Rancher":83s4czi8 said:
BSE infected materials are readily available in England. Do you not think that Leo would have enough money to pay the freight to get it here. Studies have shown that the best way to transfer BSE is through an injection of prions directly into the brain.

What do you think?
CR, if you're asking me if I think there's a possibility that someone has injected this material into Leo's brain, I would have to say "Hmmmm?" ;-)

Latest posts