Brutal outdoors

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
We have been anywhere between -1 and -16 during the nights since Christmas, hitting low teens a few days during the day.
Last night it was -3 but it is brutal with the wind. We got somewhere between maybe 8-10" of snow, but you can't tell. I have bare short grass showing in open fields and 3-4' drifts anywhere there is structure. There was at least 6" of snow on the open fields yesterday. :shock: gone!!! It's somewhere in the woods.
I have 6 heifers that have calved in the last 5 days (1 more due). One dam kept bringing her calf to the far end of the field next to the woods & the calf was going under the fence & hiding. Other dams would follow her back there, and their calves would follow. errr
We put her & her calf in the barn, and all the other newborns were tucked away in their shed last night. Thank goodness.
Expecting -30 wind chill tonight.
To some, that may not seem bad, but NY cold is REALLY cold. Lot different than Canada or out West. Very damp/humid.
Stay warm!!!

Can't even imagine those temps the coldest I have ever seen here was 2 winter of 83. That Siberian Express then gripped the whole nation as well, came in on Christmas.

We're having a heat wave over here. Everything is scorched. Seems ridiculous, you guys are putting on clothes and we are taking them off :lol:

Stick in there Jeanne and all you others.

Will be putting all my layers of clothes on pretty soon for evening chores. Have 1 heifer left to calve that we will put in again tonight. They go in the barn at night & we kick them out during the day. She just "sees" me walk out towards the gate, she beats me to it and brushes past me as soon as I open it wide enough for her. No herding this lady!!! She's no dummy.

I cannot remember having those cold of temps even for a few days when I was in Ct. We are running about 20 degrees colder than our average temps. Been in the single digits or below zero at night and days have not hit above mid 20's. Normally we are in the 20's nights and 35-40 days. It hit us sudden too, had 50's & 60's daytime temps the week before Christmas, then dropped 15-20 degrees then the bottom just dropped out of it.

No snow here but they got some in the eastern part of Va. Wind chills are supposed to be in the minus during the day tomorrow.

I feel for you all up north cuz I know how we are suffering here.

My little lady does not look like she will do anything tonight. I would rather she did not tonight. She is in the barn, but the barn is same temp as outdoors, just no wind and good bedding.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2odqsm9x said:
To some, that may not seem bad, but NY cold is REALLY cold. Lot different than Canada or out West. Very damp/humid.

Ha. You realize Canada has a great mass of water in its center, as well as an east coast right? I'd have to drive 13 hours SOUTH to New york. Same as you going to Atlanta or something..

Wind chill is currently -23. And it's gonna be 15 degrees colder tomorrow night. That's math I don't want to do right now.... We have the heat cranked inside but it's having a hard time keeping up. The inside temp was dropping a degree or two an hour. Had to put a fire in the fireplace to try to get it holding steady. Crossing fingers the water stays open for the cows...

We were on the back side of 0 this week with the wind chill, I just can't imagine those temps for any length of time .

Didn't know Canada experiences the same nasty damp winters we have.
Anyway, no baby. She was restless all night. She's been coming in the barn, eating the nice 2nd cut hay we put out for her, then pretty much just lays down for the night.
She has been up & down like a yo-yo last night. Not really pacing. And I see she didn't eat all her nice hay. They have baleage outside, but it can be hard for them to eat. It gets frozen.
I think today or tonight she'll go. Hopefully. Last one to watch for 2 weeks. (2 wk break in our breeding program while we go to Kauai)

Jeanne - Simme Valley":23dzsx09 said:
Didn't know Canada experiences the same nasty damp winters we have.

Its really just out west in the prairies that gets that dry cold - but they get lots of it. Plenty of moisture here off the ocean, but also very up and down for temps and a lot more snow and rain.

Wouldn't be so bad if we were getting this in "spurts", but it has been brutally cold since Christmas, so 2 weeks without a let up. Well, that's a lie, we had one day that got into the low teens & it was sunny and no wind. Felt like a heat wave. LOL
Heifer had her baby. Had 2 feet & a nose at 11:30, so headed to the butcher to pick up side of beef. Got back at 12:15 and calf was up & sucking. Bonus - it's a girl - wahoo!!

Was complaining about how brutal it was outdoors.
Went from -30 wind chill to 55F in a matter of less than a week.

We got at least an inch of rain about 5:30AM. I don't have my rain gauge out in winter. You can see the fog in the distance from the snow still on ground.

A week ago, you couldn't leave a beer unattended long enough to tag a calf.(Yes, there was a management issue) It was 60 when the sun went down yesterday. It's 26 now with a wind chill of 7, and they just upped the forecast to 10" of snow today on top of the ice we got early this morning. Calling for 2 degrees tomorrow. Could be worse I suppose.

Yup, rain turning to snow through the night. Expecting 5-10" and down to -7 tomorrow night. Ground is "slimey" on top, but 2-day warm spell not long enough to thaw the deep freeze we have. Thank goodness!!!

Farm Fence Solutions":2a2rguxn said:

A week ago, you couldn't leave a beer unattended long enough to tag a calf.(Yes, there was a management issue) It was 60 when the sun went down yesterday. It's 26 now with a wind chill of 7, and they just upped the forecast to 10" of snow today on top of the ice we got early this morning. Calling for 2 degrees tomorrow. Could be worse I suppose.
Give me a shout...I'll "hold your beer". :lol2: :lol2: :hide:

We got hit with a 1/4" coat of freezing rain this morning at 0400 after being 60 degrees yesterday. Snow followed the ice so roads are coated with a nice ice layer underneath, wind howling out of the north at 25mph and it's barely 20 degrees. Put out fresh hay first thing this am, did all the chores and 'running around'. Nothing to do now but post on CT...

Latest posts