Brushy Mountain State Penitentiary tourist attraction..

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
Being imprisoned with violent criminals in a remote, hard-knocks prison like the infamous Brushy Mountain Tennessee State Penitentiary is not something I would ever want to experience.

But it was fascinating to get a glimpse of incarceration at the castle-like Brushy Mountain that has come back to life as a tourist attraction, complete with a restaurant, distillery and outdoor venue for concerts and events — and it was one of the best tours I've ever taken.

The prison tour allows visitors to talk with a former guard, explore the cell blocks and walk the prison yard as we tried to imagine this "hell on Earth" slammer that operated from 1896 until 2009 in Petros, Tenn.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/life/shopping/ms-cheap/2019/05/09/things-to-do-tennessee-brushy-mountain-state-penitentiary-tours/3494580002/?utm_source=TN-TopStories

636570650982031205-brushy-mountain-historic.JPG

They need to reopen and use it for its original purpose. Probably an inspector came in and said not in compliance. All is needed is three hots and a cot.

Back in the 80's I went to McNeil Island about running their beef farm. McNeil had been a federal prison for decades. After the feds shut it down the state took it over. They wanted me because I was single. They provided a house on the island. The ferry ran about once an hour and not at night. I asked how much difference would be between me and the prisoners. I could come and go but only when the ferry was running. Just driving past the big house gave me the willies. I past on the job. Looking back I think it was a real good move.