Brush Hog

Help Support CattleToday:

klm3030

Reaction score
Probably been kicked around before but I'm thinking about replacing my old Woods and maybe my old Bush Hog (both 15 ft flex wings) with a new hopefully maintenance free cutter. I would appreciate some opinions on what the best value is. Around here Bush Hog is the top dog, but there's also Woods and Bush Wacker, Rhino and of course JD, and others. Need to get over about 300 acres, some with heavy brush maybe 2" but no rocks once or twice a year.

John Deere CX-20 here,well pleased,good machine,whatever brand you decide on,get a 20 footer,you'll love it.
One word of caution: Be careful going thru a gate with both wings up on a hillside,they will turn over.

frank boucher said:
John Deere CX-20 here,well pleased,good machine,whatever brand you decide on,get a 20 footer,you'll love it.
One word of caution: Be careful going thru a gate with both wings up on a hillside,they will turn over.
How much HP do you need for the 20?

ga.prime said:
frank boucher said:
How much HP do you need for the 20?

We have done ran a 20 with a 100hp MFWD tractor. 5hp per foot is the rule of thumb. 125 is better.

We have a JD HX20, HX15, and a Brush Hog 2615. They have all been pretty trouble free. The Brush Hog is by far the heaviest built with the best driveline. The JDs are just grass cutters, not made for cutting brush/trees, they sure cut nice though.

The airplane tires on the JDs are an aggravation. Run them flat for any length of time and they will never be right again. Tires get rough spots on the inside that rub holes in the tube. I've just been foam filling them whenever I get a flat.

Had to replace the CV shaft on the HX15 and the HX20 may need it soon. The HX20 does not have a grease zerk in the middle for the CV, guess it's supposed to get grease through a channel from the rear U-joint. Crappy design IMO.

thanks guys still havn't done nothing, actually both cutters are doing OK but getting long in the tooth.

I'm running a John Deere CX15 and it's heavy built and does a good job. I replaced a fairly new Woods cutter with the JD. Woods has an amazing finished cut to it but they don't have near the steel of a JD. I'm a fan of Rhino and Bush Hog brand bush hogs as well. I'd never buy a Woods again they are made for horse farm people IMHO.

The John Deere blades are so much easier to remove and sharpen/replace than the Woods "quick change" blades. I haven't cussed that hard in a long time the one time I tried to take the Woods blades off to sharpen. Dumbest design I've ever seen for a "quick change" blade.

We have a woods batwing and a bush hog batwing and a bush hog 10' mower.

For starters each brand has different levels. Even in bush hog there are some with small gear boxes and larger gear boxes. Definitely go with the larger ones.

I haven't seen a JD or Rhino or any of those with a heavy duty shredder to compete with the Woods and Bush Hog.

There is a brand that is lime green that I cant think of. They make some pretty heavy duty machines but they also come with a price tag to match.

Between Woods and Bush Hog I prefer the Woods. I've seen leaky gear boxes and little aggravating stuff on the Bush Hog that I haven't seen on the Woods. Neither has given us any major mechanical failures and we shred some crazy thick brush. There is stuff that is taller than the tractor or that we back over.

If I have to purchase another one it will be a Woods.

20200105_163525.jpg

Last time I bush hogged I got side tracked went off clearing was doing a great job. Everything was looking excellent until I ran over something beeped up the hog. I told my husband the neighbor came over used the tractor and messed up the bush hog. 😆🤣🤡 I told my neighbor my husband was a little ticked about him messing up his bush hog. 😝 he was like huh no clue what I was talking about but knowing me he knew. 🤣 Thank God I have a good husband that could welded it and fix it.

We have a Kubota land pride it's the lite duty one. We need a big flex. My husband said he buy a Woods. My maw has a Schulte. She hasn't had any trouble out of it and like it. Just saw a used one for $26,500 new ones are $70,000. 😲 Hang on I'm in sticker shock!!! I had no clue it cost that much!! 😲

Schulte. The highway department here runs them.

Dang they must be hoodrich. Ours has the cheapest they could buy and drives white Ford basic model trucks. 😝🤡 The Fords with the cassette players. 🤣

Dang they must be hoodrich. Ours has the cheapest they could buy and drives white Ford basic model trucks. 😝🤡 The Fords with the cassette players. 🤣
Heck our Highway Dept is so dang poor they have to drive Chevy's most of the time and sub out the mowing to Mexicans on wore out tractors. Most of those are Ford 6610s…. them working boys always run Fords. Down time costs money!😂

BTW I have 3 Fords with working cassette players. Use the trucks and the tape decks daily. 😎

Has anyone bought/looked at a 3515 Titan? And they are built in TN so the shipping would not be too bad for me. I'm given them some serious thought, but I've not seen one yet. The specs look OK.

I've had 2 woods mowers. The old 315 model was pretty good. I now hire the mowing done they use John Deere tractors and mowers and can cover a lot of ground in short order with those 20' mowers.

I've had 2 woods mowers. The old 315 model was pretty good. I now hire the mowing done they use John Deere tractors and mowers and can cover a lot of ground in short order with those 20' mowers.

I have done 60 acres in an 8 hour day with a 20 footer. More if it is not divided into paddocks or has a lot of ditches and crap to mow around.

Has anyone bought/looked at a 3515 Titan? And they are built in TN so the shipping would not be too bad for me. I'm given them some serious thought, but I've not seen one yet. The specs look OK.

I have a Titan (non batwing). I have been pleased so far. Heavy-duty gearbox and heavy gauge steel.

Latest posts