Brush Hog Input bearing and Seal

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I am thinking about bidding on a 6' Bush Hog SQ840 that is up for Auction. I went to look at it today and it appears that the input shaft needs new bearings and a seal. I have never replaced those on a gearbox before. How difficult is replacing the bearings and seal on an Input shaft? If it is a PIA then I don't want to fool with it. But I have a feeling I can get the cutter for a decent price.

I have fixed 3 or 4. Not a huge job if you have the right tools. A press helps tremendously. Large socket set, press and patience. Talk of corn head grease here on CT is mentioned.

circlebllc said:
I have fixed 3 or 4. Not a huge job if you have the right tools. A press helps tremendously. Large socket set, press and patience. Talk of corn head grease here on CT is mentioned.

I don't have a press, but I have a guy that could probably do it if I buy the cutter. the parts are only about $40.

SQ-840

L=120"
W=88-1/2"
Cutting width=84"
Weight (est)=925lbs
Type hitch=Cat.2
Gearbox hp=90
Blades=1/2"x4"
Shear bolt size=Slip clutch
Recommended tractor hp=50-85

jltrent said:
SQ-840

L=120"
W=88-1/2"
Cutting width=84"
Weight (est)=925lbs
Type hitch=Cat.2
Gearbox hp=90
Blades=1/2"x4"
Shear bolt size=Slip clutch
Recommended tractor hp=50-85
Find out where the sale is and we will bid against him. Lol

I have done it without a press. They can come apart easy or not. If the latter, you will need a press. The press helps the seals go in even. Sometimes you only have one shot. Worst that can happen is you have to spend the extra $40.

jltrent said:
sstterry said:
You are right, it is 7'.
Pretty soon your are going to be an expert on BH repair.

Ain't that the truth!! I am still undecided on the 7' one. I can get a brand new 6' for $100 over dealer cost. (The dealer is stopping carrying that brand) I want to see how cheap this SQ840 goes first.

Depending on how bad the leak....just add more oil. 🤭

Guess that doesn't address the bearing though. :?

1982vett said:
Depending on how bad the leak....just add more oil. 🤭

Guess that doesn't address the bearing though. :?

If I buy it, I might as well replace the seal if I have to replace the bearing (and the bearing needs to be replaced for certain). Interestingly, when I was growing up, I knew some old farmers that would just load corn head grease into the box and not replace the seal.

Latest posts