Brucellosis vaccinated too late

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I recently had a load of heifers bangs vaccinated. I thought they were all april-may calves, after I had them vaccinated, I found one of them was 14 months old. Will she test as a "banger"? If so is she infected or just testing positive. Will she be contagious or a carrier?
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

> I recently had a load of heifers
> bangs vaccinated. I thought they
> were all april-may calves, after I
> had them vaccinated, I found one
> of them was 14 months old. Will
> she test as a "banger"?
> If so is she infected or just
> testing positive. Will she be
> contagious or a carrier?

I am no authority but I just ran accross your posting and noticed that you had not received any response. I test the cows that go through our local sale barn every week. When I find a cow that card tests positive, I notify the on site State Inspector. We bring the cow back through the chute and the first thing the Inspector does is check for a CV bangs tag and tatoo. If she has been CV vaccinated, he will go ahead and do the "Site Test" to make sure she is not infected. If she tests negative on the "Site Test", she will go ahead and go through the sale. If she tests positive, then she will be branded accordingly and can be sold for slaughter only. Any calf that is vaccinated, could card test positive, but the older they are, the more likely it is to happen. It is my understanding that the best time to vaccinate them is between 6 and 8 months old. I hope this has been helpful to you. Good Luck, Mack

[email protected]