Brucellosis Is it to late?

Help Support CattleToday:

nobody

Reaction score
I have a heifer that I bought at the sale barn, she is about 14 months old and now I hear that I need to get her a Brucellosis vaccination. Is it too late ????? :(

What now ???? Should I sell her ? Eat her ? Go ahead and breed her ????

Sorry did not mean to Ryhme.

nobody":li1lzpnv said:
I have a heifer that I bought at the sale barn, she is about 14 months old and now I hear that I need to get her a Brucellosis vaccination. Is it too late ????? :(

I missed one heifer last year. I checked with my Vet to see if she could go out to Washington with the adult Brucellosis. He just called me back a few days ago and said it was ok. I think each state has it's own regulations on whether or not the animal can leave the state and each state has it's regulations on rather they will except adult Brucellosis vaccine cattle.

Rod

I don't know what your original plans were. If you were planning on breeding her, unless you're in an area with a high incidence of Brucellosis, I wouldn't do anything different. If you're concerned, have her tested. Then, test her again just prior to, or soon after calving.

nobody":1hejz78u said:

First you need to check your state regulations.
If you are a Class A or Class Free state, the animal should be just fine for your breeding purposes, but may not be able to travel into certain other states.
Unvaccinated cows & heifers from Class Free states can go to most other Class Free and Class A states with nothing needed but a health certificate.
Unvaccinated cows & heifers from a Class A state can move into a Class Free state until 18 months of age without Bangs testing.

If you just want this animals vaccinated for your own peace of mind, and you are in a Class A or Class Free state, you should be able to have her blood tested and after receiving a negative test result, have her vaccinated with the "adult" vaccine.
However, after receiving the "adult" vaccine, if she is again tested for Bangs, she will have a positive test result for quite some time afterwards.

I live in a Class Free state, so basically very few vaccinate for Bangs anymore unless the heifers may be sold out of state.
Out of all the cows & heifers that I've bought, only 1 had a Bangs tag.
Since I milk and use the milk raw, I test any new purchase for Bangs & TB before using her milk. My vet and everyone around me tell me that I'm wasting my money testing, these diseases don't exist anymore in this state.
But it seems to me that complacency is the best friend a disease could have. In my humble opinion, NO state should relax their regulations until these diseases have been eradicated, much the same as was done with smallpox.

Ann B

Here in Texas they need to be "Bangs" vaccinated between 4 and 10 months.

It's not really a big deal, depending on what part of the country you're in. Some states rarely have outbreaks. I think the north west is the biggest concern, with elk, deer and bison that carry the disease.

The last I heard was that only Texas and Wyoming were on the restricted list-- that needed vaccination and/or testing and quarantine to import from.

Oldtimer":1zq87pcd said:
The last I heard was that only Texas and Wyoming were on the restricted list......
That's right, Oldtimer. Everything else is Class Free.

Unless you are planning on selling her out of state for breeding then you should be okay.

Ann- I just checked the Montana Dept. of Livestock website and the only restricted states they have listed are Texas and Wyoming-- Missouri must have regained a Bangs free status.

Latest posts