Brucellosis (Bangs Disease)

Help Support CattleToday:

Kramer

Reaction score
I am interested in vaccinating heifers that I am raising for Brucella Abortus or Brucellosis (Bangs Disease). From what I have read, it appears that only a Vet can do this; i.e. I can not buy the vaccine, Strain RB-51 and administer the vaccination myself. Is this the correct assumption? I live and raise cattle in Texas, if that makes any difference.

Right. Only a vet can administer it, and in most states, it is a vaccine required by law. I'm not sure what Texas's stance on the issue is.

Does not matter if you are in Texas, only a vet can give it. They fill out paper work and send it to USDA with a description and your info.

Scotty

And if you want to get them bangs vaccinated be sure not to wait too long. I believe most vets will refuse to vac. them if they are more than 12 months old. My vet's rule of thumb is generally not more than 10 months of age. One of the concerns with vaccinating them at an older age is that it apparently causes false positives on bangs tests that are done later on in the animal's life, like at sale barns, etc.

Vet has to do it, fill out special papers, put a special metal tag in the ear, and, will also probably put a tattoo in the other ear. The tag number becomes a record.

In Texas they are Brucellosis vaccinated between 4 and 12 months. We try to do our heifers on or about weaning at 6-7 months old.

(We are also a TAHC TB Accredited and Brucellosis Certified herd and have to repeat both tests for any animal over age of 18 months on annual basis.)

Thanks to all who replied to my inquiry, regarding vaccinating for the subject. I really do appreciate each of your quick responses. The heifers that I need to get vaccinated are now 8-10 months of age. So, I need to get moving. Again, thanks!

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all,
Kramer

Each state has their own laws concerning Bruc Vacc. In NY they cannot be vaccinated except between 4-8 months old. They get the shot by a vet, calfhood state tattoo, and a metal ID tag. They do not draw blood at that time. The only time they draw blood, is if you are having a Bruc test (like for health papers for a sale)

Do you have to do a test every year? I'm kind of confused on this one, we've never tested one that was vacinated. BUt then again, we don't show or sell reg. animals. Is that the same for all states on showing or just there?

We do not test anything that is staying on the farm. But, if we show out of state, each state/show/sale has their own requirements. Generally, the animal has to be tested within 30 or 60 days of the actual show/sale, so there would be a possibility that the same animal was tested more than once in a given year.
Even if I sell a breeding animal to an individual off my farm, if they live in another state, I have to contact that state & find out what the health requirements are for that state for an animal of XX age.
You cannot move cattle across state lines without health papers. Like when we go to Kentucky to show, they don't require any tests, but they do require a current health paper made out for that state (Ky). If we got stopped in Pa or Ohio (on the way down to Ky) we would have to have the health papers with us for our destination of Ky.

T-Bone":1ol882ee said:
What happens if you dont test?

it depends on what you're doing with them. if you're keeping them in your herd, nothing happens except that you will not be certified-free (most herds aren't). if you're planning to move them out of state or consign them to a special sale, they'll need health papers which would require a tb test & a bangs test. if you're sending them to the weekly salebarn (no special sale), they'll be tested there. all adult, breeding-age cattle going through the salebarn (in TX) receive a bangs test. if the females were not vaccinated, they'll receive a test clip (silver instead of orange).

Latest posts