Brown swiss nurse cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

MurraysMutts

Reaction score
Watched a beauty of a 5 year old 8 month bred brown swiss sell yesterday.
Less than 800 iirc.

She seemed gentle. Had gobs and gobs of milk already. Her bag made Bessie look like an angus bag. Lol

How are they for nurse cows?

Brown Swiss are generally very docile and gentle, so I think they could make good nurse cows. The tradeoff is that they're quite stubborn. If she decides she doesn't want to raise bottle calves, you aren't going to change her mind.

Brown Swiss are generally very docile and gentle, so I think they could make good nurse cows. The tradeoff is that they're quite stubborn. If she decides she doesn't want to raise bottle calves, you aren't going to change her mind.
I've heard never buy a brown swiss bottle calf...
They wont take a bottle.

I've heard never buy a brown swiss bottle calf...
They wont take a bottle.
I raised a few as a kid, and never had a problem getting them to take a bottle. Didn't have much luck training them to drink milk from a bucket.

They're good cattle, but you have to know how to work with them. You aren't going to coerce them into doing anything.

Ope! Perhaps it was braunvieh I heard that about. Hmmm
No no. I'm pretty sure there was old joke floating around about it...
Anyway, I could use another cow, but wont hurt me feelings if I dont find anything right away either.

Feels pretty good to finally be at that point!

Brown Swiss aren't hard to get on the bottle. I've heard that they are hard to bucket train. I've also heard that they are hard to bottle train (Not True)... Also they make good nurse cow's! If you're slow and patient and don't lose your cool,. They just don't like to be pushed into doing things.

Swiss are definitely a more stubborn breed. They make the decisions to do what they want to do. Have worked with several dairyman that raised and showed swiss. There is a syndrome in the swiss as far as the calves go... if they suck a cow, they will be next to impossible to get on a bottle. This has been discussed at several BS breeder meetings/forums. The one dairy farmer would check the cows HOURLY when they were due so that the calf DID NOT go on the cow to get colostrum. They were easy to start on a bottle if they never sucked the cow. But if they got on the cow, they would about starve themselves rather than take a bottle. This farmer also had very little problem getting the calves to transition to a bucket... but would have an occasional one.

The cows are usually very easy to get along with and have made good nurse cows for me in the past. I just had a problem with them deciding to do what they wanted WHEN they wanted.
They do eat alot more than a smaller jersey.... just the nature/size of the breed. They do not milk comparably as much for the size/feed intake that a jersey does.
I happen to like guernseys, and they are a bigger cow than a jersey... don't milk as good as a jersey in comparison to their size.... but I like them.

That's the trick.... gotta like the animal....

Dutch belted make good family/nurse cows.... something with Montebeliarde makes a good milk cow and carries more body... I have holsteins that make good nurse cows too... GOT to make sure you either cut the grain to cut the production... or you put enough calves on them.

Swiss are definitely a more stubborn breed. They make the decisions to do what they want to do. Have worked with several dairyman that raised and showed swiss. There is a syndrome in the swiss as far as the calves go... if they suck a cow, they will be next to impossible to get on a bottle. This has been discussed at several BS breeder meetings/forums. The one dairy farmer would check the cows HOURLY when they were due so that the calf DID NOT go on the cow to get colostrum. They were easy to start on a bottle if they never sucked the cow. But if they got on the cow, they would about starve themselves rather than take a bottle. This farmer also had very little problem getting the calves to transition to a bucket... but would have an occasional one.

The cows are usually very easy to get along with and have made good nurse cows for me in the past. I just had a problem with them deciding to do what they wanted WHEN they wanted.
They do eat alot more than a smaller jersey.... just the nature/size of the breed. They do not milk comparably as much for the size/feed intake that a jersey does.
I happen to like guernseys, and they are a bigger cow than a jersey... don't milk as good as a jersey in comparison to their size.... but I like them.

That's the trick.... gotta like the animal....

Dutch belted make good family/nurse cows.... something with Montebeliarde makes a good milk cow and carries more body... I have holsteins that make good nurse cows too... GOT to make sure you either cut the grain to cut the production... or you put enough calves on them.
That's what I remember hearing now.
Once they've sucked a cow....
I knew I remembered something, but couldnt remember what it was.
Thanks!

Latest posts