Brotherly love..

Help Support CattleToday:

Lazy M

Reaction score

Flush brother sim bulls. They're the best of friends all winter in the bull pen, and mortal enemies when turned out with the ladies.. No clear winner yesterday. Hope they don't injure each other..

frieghttrain":1ln57gvd said:
Do you like running flush brothers?
So far I do. Calves seem to be more consistent. I use these two as terminal, and ai a portion of the cows to try to get replacements.

You need to put an up and coming HPF Optimizer out there.

BTW: sad to hear Hudson Pine is going the way of the dodo bird. They were big operators here in Kentucky. With the passing of Mr. Roosevelt, I understand they are dispersing.

I have two Hudson Pine/Rocking P partnership cows.

Bright Raven":22yxyc7e said:
Prob do, but I ended up retaining a few SAV Bruiser bull calves from my fall group, though. If they develop well this summer I plan to unload a few herd bulls this fall already..

Lazy M":2u2caifa said:
Bright Raven":2u2caifa said:
Prob do, but I ended up retaining a few SAV Bruiser bull calves from my fall group, though. If they develop well this summer I plan to unload a few herd bulls this fall already..

Understood. Just weaned him. He never missed a beat. Those Optimizer genetics pack some growth. Fire Sweep has seen the same thing. This guy is just over 7 months. I bet he hits 825. Maybe 850.
303e7mw.jpg

Wow if he hits 800+ at 7 mos he's in an elite group

Lazy M":33r8sc38 said:
Wow if he hits 800+ at 7 mos he's in an elite group

Born 9/14/16. So will turn 8 months on Sunday. He is broad. I don't think the picture does him justice but that is opinion. The weight is my estimate.

I am feeding them 7 pounds of a 12% protein feed mix (blue ribbon at Mayslick Mill, nothing fancy) per head per day. All the pasture they want. The calves have been broke since a month old to go under a hot creep wire. Initially, they didn't eat much but it helps boost them.

True Grit Farms":3tpaifio said:
Everyone preaches moderate cattle, and everyone always brags on size. That animal has to much white, he should of been a show steer.

He does Grit. In fact, Fire Sweep has advised me that he has more chrome than her market prefers. However, there are all kinds of people. I sold a heifer last August to a Simmental breeder not far from Lazy M only because she had lots of chrome. The gentleman is in his 70s and he and his wife do what makes them happy. They have contacted me a couple of times to say how "sweet" Venus is. My cattle are very docile and lots of people like that.

True Grit Farms":lw1guf4o said:
Everyone preaches moderate cattle, and everyone always brags on size. That animal has to much white, he should of been a show steer.

I hear the same things about moderate cattle, but then in any sale be it purebred or commercial bred heifer sales, the bigger cattle are almost always the ones that bring the most. I have liked this calf since the first pictures of him, I would imagine that he would sire some good and marketable replacement females.

Ky hills":2azqo5pp said:
True Grit Farms":2azqo5pp said:

I hear the same things about moderate cattle, but then in any sale be it purebred or commercial bred heifer sales, the bigger cattle are almost always the ones that bring the most. I have liked this calf since the first pictures of him, I would imagine that he would sire some good and marketable replacement females.

Thanks. I notice the same thing, everyone talks the moderate theme. This guy was only 85 pounds at birth and that is below my birthweight average. But he is growing like a weed.

Bright Raven,
Finally a black Hereford with some growth.. LOL

TG,
We all have moderate cattle we just don't agree on what moderate is.. :)

jscunn":2tu2f0kh said:
Bright Raven,
Finally a black Hereford with some growth.. LOL

TG,
We all have moderate cattle we just don't agree on what moderate is.. :)

You'd have to be in total control of your herd to cull for to much growth, and that's about the last reason I'd cull a cow.

Latest posts