brokenmouth

Help Support CattleToday:

Loose or missing teeth

dun

> At the sale barn when they say
> brokenmouth ,what does this mean?

The worst part about broken mouth cows is that they can't eat well because they can't cut the grass effectively. Makes it that much harder to stay in condition when she's feeding a calf and can't keep herself fed right.

Craig-TX

> Loose or missing teeth

> dun I'VE SEEN YOUNG BROKEN MOUTH COW'S, AND I UNDERSTAND THAT. WHAT I DON'T UNDERSTAND IS THE DIFFER- ENCE BETWEEN A COW THAT IS MARKED BR=BROKEN AND A COW MARKED 0=OLD?

WHICH ONE IS YOUNGER OR IN BETTER CONDITION.

LUNKER

[email protected]

In some auction barns if a cow is marked "O" it means "open." A common mark for "broken mouth" is "X."

Craig-TX

That's one of those "How high is up" kinds of questions. If a cow is in good condition without excesive supplements it doesn't much matter if she's young or old. And young and old are pretty subjective terms. I'm young at 60 plus, I was old at 50. As has been pointed out, a broken mouth cow has a harder time staying in condition, especially if she's feeding a calf. Now the catch. If the forage is lush the ld girl may fool you and stay in condition for several years even while feeding a calf. Gritty forage wears teeth much faster then then gritty forage. But it won't cause them to loose teeth. If a cow is 6-7 and has lost teeth I would look first to genetics. In the desert where the forage is wirey cheatgrass liberaly dosed with sand, it's not all that uncommon for a 3 yr old to be a short and solid. She may not go broken mouth for another 5-6-7 who knows how many years. But the badely worn teeth are as bad, or almost anyway, as broken mouth. More then you wanted I know

dun

> WHICH ONE IS YOUNGER OR IN BETTER
> CONDITION.

> LUNKER

"I'm young at 60 plus, I was old at 50."

LOL. I remember in the service, some of those master sergeants and colonels were awfully old men. I mean ancient. They had to be getting broken mouthed. For crying out loud, they must have been in their 40s!

Craig-TX

Those are just little kids.

dun

> "I'm young at 60 plus, I was old
> at 50."

> LOL. I remember in the service,
> some of those master sergeants and
> colonels were awfully old men. I
> mean ancient. They had to be
> getting broken mouthed. For crying
> out loud, they must have been in
> their 40s!

> Craig-TX

I told my kids that when I got to 50 my age would be going down. They thought I was nuts. My wife and I are both 42(born the same year) and bought our first cattle last year. We are having so much fun with the cattle that our kids are beginning to believe in my dumb idea. Try it out and, if it works with you, please share it with all those other cattle folks.

[email protected]

Latest posts