Broken water pipe

Help Support CattleToday:

alice i know what your going through.the water is on at our old dairy barn as well.so my bro tryed wrapping some pipes as best he could.we can never turn off the old dairy because when dad built the barn an house he plumbed them both togather.if you turn the barn off the house has no water.

Alice":3g1o7mjp said:
...in the old Dairy Barn. My brother and I are soaked to the bone. The front of the old barn is flooded...and it's too cold for this S**t. Plus, I have hay bales stacked in there...arghhhhh!

We got it rigged...hopefully it will hold until Tuesday when my brother is off.

The language got right salty... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alice

Yikes,the cold is enough without being wet, too! It's warming up here, though. It's above freezing and not even noon yet. :D

'Course that means we may be at 100 degrees in March. :(

105 degrees here and running the ac in the truck.But that was this past summer.However it really did get up to 55 today. Wohoo!!
And yes to your question as a kid I had to try that sticking my tongue to a pipe thing.Except it was a well pump handle.Was not a smart thing to do.But like you I haven't forgotten. :oops:

Cal

It was that darn ice box that got me. When I put in that well house at the farm I oversized it for a full size bath tub, sink, washer & dryer etc. Also put in an ice box for meds and what not. It had an ice maker so water was hooked up to.

Left two lamps on in that well house because it is so big. Left water dripping at the outside faucets and in that sink. Forgot about that ice box supply. It was dead headed. 3/4 pipe broke and flooded it all up pretty good. Shut that valve and the water is okay. The valve can stay shut until later. Its a muddy mess but that won't last forever. Cows are across the road from it so there are no issues there.

backhoeboogie":1ku99nxf said:
It was that darn ice box that got me. When I put in that well house at the farm I oversized it for a full size bath tub, sink, washer & dryer etc. Also put in an ice box for meds and what not. It had an ice maker so water was hooked up to.

Left two lamps on in that well house because it is so big. Left water dripping at the outside faucets and in that sink. Forgot about that ice box supply. It was dead headed. 3/4 pipe broke and flooded it all up pretty good. Shut that valve and the water is okay. The valve can stay shut until later. Its a muddy mess but that won't last forever. Cows are across the road from it so there are no issues there.

Well Boogie no broke pipes here but I broke plenty of ice this morning chasing tree rats with ole Rube in the creek bottom. I have seen it colder in December 83, we broke a pile of records in this cold snap. Lot of people at church yesterday talking about broke pipes one fellow came by and borrowed my diesel heater said he was freezin to death playing with water lines.
All the stock tanks were froze over except the one that is about 35' deep.

peg4x4":131su0qp said:
Just me,but I'd put in a new shutoff.. and mark it well. The best idea I ever saw was someone who documented where all the waterlines/septic lines such were .. They took photos and drew up plans of everything..

Nah, what would be the fun in that, that ain't the way I operate, besides I can remember where all that stuff is, we don't have time to draw all that out today, just cover it up, we need to get this thing going, how could I forget :help: :help: :help: .

I think all that comes under the heading of procrastination, and I soved all that with my new years resolution :oops: .

Larry

Caustic Burno":6h88m9uc said:
backhoeboogie":6h88m9uc said:

Well Boogie no broke pipes here but I broke plenty of ice this morning chasing tree rats with ole Rube in the creek bottom. I have seen it colder in December 83, we broke a pile of records in this cold snap. Lot of people at church yesterday talking about broke pipes one fellow came by and borrowed my diesel heater said he was freezin to death playing with water lines.

I remember here it was 6 below zero on Christmas day in 83.

Larry

Larry[/quote]

Lary,I can't say about 83 since I left Ohio in December of 82 and there was 2ft of snow on the ground when I left. But I can sure remember the blizzard of 78 with 4ft snow and wind chill of 40 below.
Now that's winter!! However my two daughters who still live in Ohio tells me the winters ain't what they used to be.

Cal

Caustic Burno":21c7dbay said:
I have seen it colder in December 83, we broke a pile of records in this cold snap. Lot of people at church yesterday talking about broke pipes one fellow came by and borrowed my diesel heater said he was freezin to death playing with water lines.

I was still working construction (and hungry) back then. The job was a hard dollar job. In two weeks time, I received one check for 30 minutes show up time. Tough times.

It seems we didn't get above freezing for something like 9 days then. I had a bucket of pvc fittings and was able to help out some neighbors because most of the stores were sold out of everything. We didn't have all those mega buidling supply centers everywhere back then.

Calman":1g9arpgy said:

Larry

Lary,I can't say about 83 since I left Ohio in December of 82 and there was 2ft of snow on the ground when I left. But I can sure remember the blizzard of 78 with 4ft snow and wind chill of 40 below.
Now that's winter!! However my two daughters who still live in Ohio tells me the winters ain't what they used to be.

Cal[/quote]

No Cal , we haven't had anything to beat 78 or even close to it, and I hope we never do. Like your daughters say it seems to go in cycles and we've been in a milder cycle in recent years.

Larry

Yeah, those were the years of global cooling warnings of C02 and air polution and predictions of of the next ice age....... :lol:

OMG! We are going in to an ice age? I'm going to have Algorythm bring some aerosol cans to help me burn some tires. Do you part to prevent global cooling.

Latest posts