broken toe nail

Help Support CattleToday:

Dean the hobby farmer

Reaction score
My bull has broken toe nail what would be a good solution to solve this problem.The vet said that I should use iodine on it,the bull is still in the pasture .I do not want to chase him too much ,when he walks in the barn then I will catch him let me know what I can use to fix this.How is the haying weather in your area it is really bad here in Nova Scotia 1 day of sun next 6 wet.Thanks Dean :)

Did the claw break off or does he have a crack?
Unless the bull is really lame I wouldn't worry about it too much. Basically, unless he has an infection in the hoof (foot rot) there isn't too much to be done, it will have to grow out, and it will bother him until it gets a bit longer.

The nail is broken along the side of the foot,it is starting to separate from the foot.He will let me spray or pour iodine on his foot if he laying down if it is possible I will try to take picture of it.Thanks for the reply so quick.Deans 8)

Dean the hobby farmer":3dt3e1nu said:
The nail is broken along the side of the foot,it is starting to separate from the foot.He will let me spray or pour iodine on his foot if he laying down if it is possible I will try to take picture of it.Thanks for the reply so quick.Deans 8)

Well, the best thing to do would be to get it trimmed off before it separates completely. Usually when it tears off it will tear off a lot of hoof, and by trimming it you can remove the broken part before it tears. He would be a lot less lame if you were to trim it than if he was to tear it. I don't think the iodine would do much good unless you are treating an infection or are worried that he would get an infection.

About 6 weeks ago had a heifer cut the top of her hoof where it meets the foot/leg. It was a pretty good gash and I was afraid the hoof was going to seperate from the foot too. I sprayed iodine on it a couple days then hauled her to the vet. He removed the cut part of the hoof that was loose (I don't know how else to describe it) at the top of the foot, he said he did this to clean it up so it did not collect dirt or get pulled off. Vet told me to give her penicillin only if the foot or leg swelled, it did not--so I did nothing. She limped for 5 weeks and now is walking fine. Donna

Hippie Rancher":68jjraa8 said:
Maybe talk to a farrier?

the horsey set probably has all kinds of answers - lots of boots and epoxies and such...just a thought

hahahahahahahahaha! Good one!

Alice

We have soft pasture and sand in the pens and have had the tips break off if we let them get to long. Always grow back with no ill effects. I'd trim the torn section and keep an eye on him. We trim off the tips every time we get the girls in the chute seems to keep the trouble from happening again. DMc