Broken ribs

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie

Reaction score
I had forgotten how bad broken ribs hurt.

The doc took X-rays to confirm what I already knew, excpet for the number of course. I wasn't going to go to the doc but the boss lady insisted. Good thing. They have found "foreign objects" in the right lung. More testing is forthcoming.

For all you medical types, what is the definition of a "foreign object"? The doc did not say "spot" or anything like that. To me it implies I must have inadvertently inhaled something but it could be the doc not wanting to sound an alarm.

Don't go sending any jokes this way for a while. It hurts to laugh. Really hurts.

3 inches of rain came down in a 24 hour period. I'd dance about that if it didn't hurt so darn bad.

alacattleman":gdy5phag said:
it only begs the question.....how the he!# did you break em? tryin' to turn a bull... that would'nt

A cow was caught behind a cut gate trying to escape the chute. This is on the pens on the leased property. The set up is not great and changing it is not an option since it is not mine. The gate was bowed out and I was slamming my self into it trying to get the chain loose. I must have broken them then. Can't think of anything else that would have done it.

That is what it sound likes to me Boogie. Usually they say shadow or spot if they suspect cancer. Did they do a CT on your lungs. Also how did you crack your rib was it from coughing a lot or an injury ?

I looked through Merck as much as I could for all scenarios and most come back to something that has been inhaled or an infection..

Hope you feel better soon and let us know what the object is if you find out..

I hate it for you. I had some cracked ribs a few years ago, and the best I remember was that they only hurt when you breath.......

Best of luck to you. Hope it all turns out ok.

grannysoo":14jiz5l2 said:
I hate it for you. I had some cracked ribs a few years ago, and the best I remember was that they only hurt when you breath.......

Best of luck to you. Hope it all turns out ok.

Granny...the worst hurt is when you "inhale". Now if Boogie can quit breathing in he should be pain free til he heals. :lol: :lol:

BHB,

Could one of your broken ribs sent a bone sliver into a lung when it broke? That's the first thing that crossed my mind, anyway.

I bruised my ribs once...GAWD awful pain and discomfort that seemed to last forever.

Alice

If you had been to NAM I would say shrapnel, Both hands light up under X Ray. :help:

Anyway the worst with a broke rib without question is the sneeze, do everything you can to suppress it. Good luck I been working to heal a broke rib all Winter. :cowboy:

Who knows Alice. It is in about the same place the cow kicked me a few months back. When that happened I was hanging onto the side of the truck and feeling really stupid when realization sat in that she had calved. Gawd that hurt.

The ribs were likely broken then but a few days later the pain wasn't so bad. Things haven't been any slower since so they probably never healed properly.

You'd have thought any bone splinters would have yeilded me coughing up blood or something and that never happened. Likely I inhaled something.

There are a ton of things that need to be done (as always) and it looks as tho things will have to wait. The boss lady is all bent out of shape at me. If I do anything in the pastures, she'll know all about it.

The new building is completed, the new well is functional, the power is all in, gravel is spread, the fences have been repaired. There are no real pressing issues at the moment. She knows however that I am not going to sit around the house watching I love Lucy. She aint big enough to hog tie me. Of course if you heard her talk to me, you'd think she was 6' - 6" tall.

The new starter came in for the Massey and there are some other lightweight piddly maintenance things I can do.

john250":3qet1fyz said:
BHB, if you can change a Massey starter with your broken ribs, you have a far higher pain tolerance than I.

The starter weighs 53 lbs and that weight has been on my mind. It is going on an old 1105 so it is right there chest high and accessibility is not an issue. Just the weight. I might wait a week on that one.

Lammie":2a70h2p3 said:
He's just trying to be all Chuck Norris.

I did my best not to chuckle but did anyway. That hurt.

Would you have me lay up and milk this for all its worth? "Bring me a cup of coffee, ice tea etc?" She knows me better than that.

The only thing that truly has me concerned is the "foreign object", which is puzzling.

Ouch! Sorry about your ribs....seems like it takes forever for them to heal. Good luck on the foreign stuff...what have you been breathing?? Been around insulation?

sorry that you busted some ribbs.i know they hurt like heck.hope they wrapped them nice an tight.i know i dont want any busted ribbs.

Dang BHB I thought I had taught to have your infrastructure in good working order. Sorry about the injury and pain but I would have bought a ticket to the show. I have a sneaky feeling this was one of those oh craps with a little prying will come out.

Serious note keep me updated on what the Doc says, don't make me drive up there to find out.

Take care of yourself BHB. I cracked some ribs a few years back, i know your pain.

Bhb I'm sorry to hear of your mishap.Them ol broken ribs or no fun at all.You need to take it easy until they heal. My thoughts are probably little chips from the ribs would explain the object on the lung.

Cal

Latest posts