broken off needle and hump on cows back

Help Support CattleToday:

monday123

Reaction score
We have a cow that just develeped a hump in her upper back right by the back bone. She is a small angus cow about 3 yrs old. This hump just developed. I was told that sometimes small cows will get a hump sometimes from calving if they have strained alot. She has had 2 calves on her own. Any suggestions?
Also We have a cow that got wormed and the needle broke off in her it was a 16 gauge 1/2 inch disposable needle. So it was aluminium. We can not locate it. Will this be a problem or will her body just push it out on its own. It was in the neck mucsle.

There's no telling where that needle may migrate to; won't necessarily stay in the neck. May never cause a problem, but may end up in someone's steak, roast, or hamburger, sometime in the future.

I was hoping since it was such a short needle that it may get pushed out or we will discover a bump sometime. She wont go for slaughter for a long time cause she is one of our breeding cows. I know this has happened to others just didnt know if anyone ever had any side effects from it. Thanks!

monday123":lcx7y0xy said:
I was hoping since it was such a short needle that it may get pushed out or we will discover a bump sometime. She wont go for slaughter for a long time cause she is one of our breeding cows. I know this has happened to others just didnt know if anyone ever had any side effects from it. Thanks!

This cow should never go to slaughter. When her productive life is over just bury her. Next time if you can't extract the needle call your vet right away. They may be able to surgically remove it.

That is why a vet lady told me if at all possible when giving a needle to just put it under the skin if possible, as it is less apt to break, and less apt to migrate if it does break...
Nite Hawk

Latest posts