Broken Nose

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks for the info. I figured I would hook mine shut with chains, but just wanted to see what others have done. I have been using a head catch, but their horns are getting to the point that they have a tough time getting them through.

Bobg

Yup maybe your right SF..... why even bother.. after all the animals are here for our use anyway..... heck,...next time I cut the throat of a steer for beef, I will save the .35 cent bullet to the head... I just never realized that they were that tolerent of pain and suffering. :cboy:

Medic24":2qz56r14 said:
Yup maybe your right SF..... why even bother.. after all the animals are here for our use anyway..... heck,...next time I cut the throat of a steer for beef, I will save the .35 cent bullet to the head... I just never realized that they were that tolerent of pain and suffering. :cboy:

I suspect you'd never do that. ;-)

I think that most folks who work around livestock on a regular basis can tell when one is in pain and/or distress. Animals in pain should be relieved of the pain, if possible, by the appropriate method.

An example of the point I was making and apparently did a poor job of making. If a cow gets snakebit, just leave her alone. She will get well all on her own. If a person gets bit by a snake, medical attention is required or the person may die. (I'm referring to poisonous snakes). A cow will not be affected by the snakebite like a human will.

By the way...this is one reason I never knowingly sell to Kosher or hispanic butchers.......

Kosher butchers, say a few words, and slit the throat, no stunning, nothing.

Hispanics, stab a knife into the rear of the head and let loose .....again, no stunning.....

I have witness both on repeated occasions..... wasn't thrilled, but who am I to judge or attempt to alter another persons cultural traditions? I just am not going to let them use my livestock for that purpose is all..

I consider my self a very caring and humane person,. as an example...if I had planned to kill some one, I would at least offer then some aspirin or something for pain before I beat them to death...don't ya think thats the least a person could do? ;-) :cboy:

Medic24":kksw0zsx said:
...I consider my self a very caring and humane person,. as an example...if I had planned to kill some one, I would at least offer then some aspirin or something for pain before I beat them to death...don't ya think thats the least a person could do? ;-) :cboy:

:lol: :lol: I must remember this one. :lol: :lol:
Just in case you decide to beat me to death and you are going to offer something for pain, since you are a "very caring" person, can I please have something a little stronger than aspirin. :lol:

Re: Most pain medications in a food animal are likely extra-label uses, and probably illegal. If theres a chance this animal will be an actual food animal in the next couple days (and that seems to be within the realm of possibility) then I'd be leary--- how much beef with banamine do you want to eat?

Faraway - as long as you follow the proper dosage and withdrawl times there shouldn't be any problem with eating her. But you are right, if you go extra-label on a dosage, the withdrawl time can be greatly affected. Anyway - I seriously doubt he's gunna eat her just since she's got a broken nose.

TXBobcat":1s50ot81 said:
Bobg":1s50ot81 said:
On the Medina Hinge what keep it from being pushed apart when an animal is in it? I've seen a few diagrams that just have some rods that sink into the ground, but it looks like it would be a pain getting them back out.

Bob

The gates are held together with chains (they are behind the cow in the picture). The gates can be squeezed together as tight as you can get them and then chained. The chains are connected to the back fence so the whole unit can't move. If there was no cow in the hinge, the gates can be shut completely together on the backside. I have ran everything through it from a 200 lb calf to a full grown bull. I do tie their head up, usually with a lead rope, so they can't stab you with those horns.

We've got some photos on our Medina Hinge setup on our website. Click on "Our Ranch Photos" page. That aside, our gates swing in an arc against a steel plate background. Have sliding bolts on the hinge gates that slip into holes in the steel plate background. We also use a calf table for Longhorn calves up to weaning age: after that, we secure horns with a rope to prevent head thrashing. Some of our Longhorns don't even flinch with vaccinations; others are real pain sensitive and thrash around. Seems calves are more tolerant of vaccinations than some of our adult cows.

Latest posts