Broken mouth cows

Help Support CattleToday:

hopalong

Reaction score
Neighbor passed away a few weeks ago and his son is trying to get rid of all his livestock, he has 10ea 5 -7 yr old cows in the 2nd trimester (per the vet, broken mouth cows) he is wanting to sell the other cattle they are moving to the son's place
they look pretty decent,not something i would want to keep for myself but seems like the price might be right $350 each, angus cross. my question is do i need to be concerned about what i feed them or can and will they pretty well survive on grass and hay (if needed) don't want to dump a bunch of sack feed down them
just wondering if i might make a penny or two if i bought em. all i would have to do is open a gate and let em in.
these are all commercial cows(like mine) he was very good about his shots and the care he administerd to his stock, they have all run fence line for the past 3 months or so.
thanks
negitive comments need not be posted

If you can afford them have at it. Seems like you are confident that the cattle were well cared for. Calve them out wean calves and send the feeders and the canners to the sale and triple your money.

Now did you say 5 to 7 year old cattle classed as brokenmouth?
I have never seen any in that age range classified as brokenmouth.
Hell I bought old cow's at 10 to 12 still short and solid.
Makes me wonder about who is aging these cows.

Now lets see guy wants 350 for cows carrying a 500 dollar calf hmm. Or a cow calf pair that will bring a 1000 bucks rebred this seems like a well duh if the cattle are in halfway decent shape.

Mr caustic
i am only asking because that is what i was told! I know you are the resident expert and have probabally much more experence that most of us on the board. i did not ask the question to be put down. the basic question was about what to feed do i need special consideration feed
i ask the question to learn!
i am sure that the VET must be wrong based on your knowledge

hopalong":3r73d5b0 said:
Mr caustic
i am only asking because that is what i was told! I know you are the resident expert and have probabally much more experence that most of us on the board. i did not ask the question to be put down.
i ask the question to learn!
i am sure that the VET must be wrong based on your knowledge
SIR i do not wish to discuss the issue with you in any way shape or form!
i asked a reasonable question based on the information i have, for you to respond the way you did is irrisponsible and uncalled for.
thank you for not responding further
those of you who wish to address the question in a responsible manner please feel free to do so

Well anyone with half a brain would buy breed cows for 350 and haul them straight to the salebarn and turn a profit.

PS I really don't care want you want to discuss cause if you can't make money on 350 dollar cows you need to get out of the business.

i am one of those guys you hate so bad mr caustic! a HOBBIST
and if you care less why make any statment at all???
if i get out of the business who will you pick on next any one who has a question???
either answer the question as to feed requiments or dirift on off to the sunset!

hopalong":3o9hsn2k said:
if i get out of the business who will you pick on next any one who has a question???
either answer the question as to feed requiments or dirift on off to the sunset!

Settle down.

If you got the cash and you can get breds for this coin - buy them all and flip the whole works on the day you wean the last one.

If you cannot make money in your country at those prices you had better stay home.

Bez!

Some cows are broken mouth at 5-7 years but most aren't at that young age. If they have been eating a lot of really course stuff and maybe some rocks now and then but cows around here aren't broken mouth at that age. Cows are only in their prime at that age. Before getting to the broken mouth stage most of em go through the smooth mouth stage which is ware and tear over years of chewing this normally occurs at around 8 - 10 and even 12 years. Some of them calve beyond 15 years. Its the capacity of the cow to raise a good calf and support her own body that counts.
$350 dollars is a great deal on a cow for the slaughter prices alone. If she has a $500 dollar calf with her this only makes it a better deal. Even a cow and calf in terrible shape is worth way more than that. If you can get them that cheap it would be a steal. If you can get a truckload of them at that price I'd be willing to take them off your hands as would most anyone else.

If you read closely you will see I said the same exact thing as Caustic. Just in a more long winded version. Caustic gives some good advice. He just ain't long winded. He don't waste time sugar coating things. He may not be politicaly correct but he does know his cattle.This business is about making money to most of us. Some are in it only for pets, which is fine, but to turn a profit you have to be harsh and know when to jump on a deal as well as walk away from a trainwreck.

As long as you have nice grass and the cows are already in reasonable shape, I don't think you would have to worry about them for this summer. Buy them, calve them out and make a pile of money! Good luck to you.

Pooog1":2436naqu said:
As long as you have nice grass and the cows are already in reasonable shape, I don't think you would have to worry about them for this summer. Buy them, calve them out and make a pile of money! Good luck to you.

IF they are broken mouthed they are going to need soft grass that isn't already grazed too close. Broken mouthed cows can graze on 6 inches of regrowth of most grasses. The regrowth is softer and has more nutritional value.

Depending on how bad their mouths are, you might not want to winter then. Eating off round bales might be hard for them.

Keep good loose mineral out for them and you should get them to calve just fine. Like everyone else said. Calve them out and send the pairs to the sale for profit.

I went back and reread my posting and it even confused me. There was never any doubt in my mind i could make money on them IF the feeding was not an issue, I/E sack feed, this did not come out well in the post so i think i need to apoligize to caustic, i was being overly sensitive. sorry caustic.
As far as age i only know what i was told by the son who was told by the vet, 2nd hand information, not always correct.
I thank ALL of you who responded and will try to be a little less sensitive in the future.
For the most part this is a great place to relearn things long long ago forgotten, love of the land .animals and my upbringing on a ranch brought me back to my roots after i retired.
thanks again

i can hear the money jinggle in your pocket now. the only thing that would keep me from buying them is if some one else beat me too it. that feller is leaving money on the table sold a 700 pnd open heifer last week brought 101 a pound ;-)

I'd stick my check book in my pocket, hitch up the trailer and go have a look at these cows...better deal yet, take the wife's car and work out delivery with the son, save some diesel.
Just my two bits worth.
DMc

get them, feed them grass taht is tall enough for them to tear off. dont make them compete with younger cows. if they are brokenmouthed they are more than likely older than the son says (he probably doesnt even know their age). i have noticed my angus type cows get shortmouthed a lot earlier than others, though. but still not until they are 9 or 10 or so.

Buy them. If you got grass then raise the calf. If you ain't got grass take them on to the stock yard. YOu should make money either way.
Best of luck to you and please let us know how it goes.

hopalong":2zad50v6 said:

I didn't see anything wrong with his response. Caustic just says what is on his mind. He sure knows what he's talking about. I would listen to him. If you hand around here long enough, you learn to value everyone's personalities.

I wish I could run into a deal like that. Sounds like a no brainer way to turn some coin.

Susie David":27q2qiyn said:
I'd stick my check book in my pocket, hitch up the trailer and go have a look at these cows...better deal yet, take the wife's car and work out delivery with the son, save some diesel.
Just my two bits worth.
DMc
wrote the check this afternoon, opened the gate pup and i and the quad moved them onto my pasture.
they been running next to mine for a couple of months now so why not!
thanks

hopalong":8y5tcmht said:
Susie David":8y5tcmht said:
Just my two bits worth.
DMc
wrote the check this afternoon, opened the gate pup and i and the quad moved them onto my pasture.
thanks

Do not fall in love with them - they are gonners in about 6 months or so.

Watch the sales - try to make one of the early ones - provided it is not a grass or hay shortage area - then you fight with all the others for the buyers' dollar.

Good luck,

Bez!

Bez!":2gxzddk1 said:
hopalong":2gxzddk1 said:
Susie David":2gxzddk1 said:
Just my two bits worth.
DMc
thanks

Do not fall in love with them - they are gonners in about 6 months or so.

Watch the sales - try to make one of the early ones - provided it is not a grass or hay shortage area - then you fight with all the others for the buyers' dollar.

Good luck,

Bez!

Good advice from Bez as usual always prefer to sell a spring cow/calf to a fall one.
Hopalong you don't owe me anything you stated your opinon and I mine I can respect that. It's a lot better than a whole bunch of pussy footing around PC garbage.

Latest posts