Broken leg.

Help Support CattleToday:

Sir Loin

Reaction score
To make a long story short:
I usually shoot anything with a broken leg.
When a BA steer with a broken leg was offered to me last week I said no thanks just shoot it.

Well, when I went to the barn tonight to feed my other 6 orphans there was this 200 lb BA steer in my infirmary hopping around on 3 legs.
As I understand it his leg was broken about 3 months ago. It swelled up about the size of a softball then went down to almost normal in about 2 weeks. Since then he hasn't been putting any weight on it.

Should I just shoot it, or do you think I can make a buck off it?

As I have never raised a calf with a broken leg does anyone have any tips on raising a steer with a broken leg?
Can it be done?
SL
PS Pic to follow tomorrow.

We have had a few broken legs. We use a piece of poly pipe, cut in half, to splint the leg. Heat it up, so you can mold it to the leg. Make sure to fill it with some gauze/cotton wool for padding. Bandage around it. Leave for several weeks/months until improvement is seen. Check for rubbing occassionally. Also make sure the animal is not chewing it off.

We have had lots of success doing this - generally the animal goes to slaughter when it is ready. But we did it to a promising young bull once - he is now a five y.o and working and the leg (a front one) doesnt seem to be causing any problems (and his calves are fantastic - wish we'd kept him!)

Good luck

Do nothing if the bone has not come to the surface or has slid by side by side . Will heal on its own. Will make worse if you splint it. Cattle have a way of healing on their own.

I have a cow now, when she was a weaned heifer got her leg caught in the chute broke her leg. She has had three calves. Can not tell unless you knew.

It's probably worth feeding out. We had a steer years ago that broke his leg, right below the hip. Made great steaks!

I cannot help but wonder if there is more to this story (to make a long story short).

I certainly hope that you will make the right choice and put the animal first...and also fix what ever caused the situation.
I'm sure you will make the right choice.
Sincerely, donna

had a ropin calf that layed down on a run and my horse freight trained it. turned him out he was fine in alittle over a month. took him to the sale and they ran a bull in the alley with him ran over him and dam if it didnt break the same leg again right above the last break. they payed me for him carried him back home turned him out, and healed him up again. and resold him. them growin babies heal up fast... dont shoot him

Spent over $800 on a young bull that broke his leg.

Never again..........

I know of someone who had a calf, I don't know how old it was but it broke its leg. By the time they saw it, she said it was too late to do anything. They kept her and she has had lots of calves for them. I've seen the cow and the leg is weird looking but she gets around on it. She does keep this cow away from the main herd but not by herself.

We had a bull several years ago that broke his leg. He laid out for several days before we could find him. Took him to the vet for an xray-it had been broken but had already started healing. The vet said he could splint it but it would probably cause more problems than it would solve. he said take him home, turn him out by himself for about 3 months. It healed fine-just a little crooked. It never gave him any trouble after it healed and we had him for several years after that. I don't know if it makes a difference where it was broke, but this was the lower front leg.

Generally speaking, puting the animal down is probably the best decision. The amount of pain and restricted mobility the animal is dealing with should be a big ticket item for you to consider. In the absence of infection or something like that, I can't think of many good reasons not to put the beef into your freezer...that's a buck or two saved on the food bill. Ask your Vet and butcher for opinions regrading harvesting the beef. Others have made credible argument for working things out differently but you have my thoughts to toss into the hat.