broken leg

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

~~any sugestions on calf with broke leg in the hock joint? she is 2 month old. she hops around on three legs .gets plenty milk from her moma.just wounderd if i could do any thing for her without spending a fortion.or just leave her like she is.`````thanks Tc

Plan on eating her yourselves. She wouldn't bring much to sell, but should be able to hang in till she's a yearling or so.

dun

> ~~any sugestions on calf with
> broke leg in the hock joint? she
> is 2 month old. she hops around on
> three legs .gets plenty milk from
> her moma.just wounderd if i could
> do any thing for her without
> spending a fortion.or just leave
> her like she is.`````thanks Tc

This seems heartless, but I would put her out of her missery, she probably won't develop into a marketable meat animal, and she will never be a functional breeding animal, cut your loss now, and don't prolong her suffering, just because you don't see her pain, does not mean she is not in pain.

[email protected]

> ~~any sugestions on calf with
> broke leg in the hock joint? she
> is 2 month old. she hops around on
> three legs .gets plenty milk from
> her moma.just wounderd if i could
> do any thing for her without
> spending a fortion.or just leave
> her like she is.`````thanks Tc VEAL

Are you sure the break is in the joint? We had a two month old bull calf who broke his leg just above the hock at two months when his mom first came in heat. Sure it was the bull throwing him out of the way. We planned on giving him some time to see if he could get around enough to keep for a freezer beef. He surprised the heck out of us by healing enough to get around well in 5 weeks, and healing like new in 4 months. He went on to be sold as a breeding bull to a neighbor who knew his history. He is still breeding at age 6 and has sired some of the best calves on that farm.

Ya never know.

[email protected]